Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shim kits

Hey,
    While looking for shim kits I've noticed there are price differences for seemingly identical sets. From what I've seen there are shim kits that are around $50 and others that are around $130. Any Idea why such a price difference? I've also noticed the part number changes with the price, but is that not just the thickness of the shims? Also, is there a way to decide which kit to buy without putting everything together first and checking the backlash/pattern?

The thickness ranges are different, hence the price difference. It is odd that one range is 3x the price, but that is likely due to supply/demand more than anything.

Comment

I was thinking the same, but it sounded too unreal to believe =) I guess the bigger increments are cheap, small ones are pricier.
      Also, its never mentioned what the increment is. Or should I know that from looking at the from-to size?

Comment

For a while, the oil pump shims for 2002's were 1.26 and 9.22- one was 5mm, the other was
        1mm, and the THICKER shim cost more.

Then they stopped making both.

BMW has a very odd way of pricing things like that...
        ...and I agree with Andrew, it might be a combination of demand and difficulty of manufacture,
        or it might just be random.

As to what you need, I have had best luck keeping the shims with the gearset,
        and then adjusting from there. I'm cheap, so I set it up with what it had in it,
        and then if it's off, buy 'em after. Sometimes you get lucky... and it's the only
        way to really know, anyway.

hth

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Toby, thanks for the info - that was my plan anyway. Although I suspect the new bearings will throw it off.

Comment

I was surprised to find that the replacement bearings I purchased were the same dimensions as the originals, so everything went back together with the original shims. I checked all the preloads per the TIS.

Comment

That sounds very encouraging =D I think I have FAG bearings and races.

Comment

Yeah, I have a very high success rate with new bearings, too, and the cases are surprisingly
                close as well- I guess the difficult- to- repeat part is cutting the gears.

Odds are, you'll be fine. Or off just a few tenths.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X