New CSB and Flex Disc but still have vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New CSB and Flex Disc but still have vibration

I had a horrible banging in 1st and 2nd gear under heavy acceleration. The CSB was shot so I replaced that at the giubo with fresh ones. I also took the driveshaft to a local BMW race shop and had it inspected. Just took it for a test drive and it is much better but I am still getting a vibration in first gear when I floor it. Where should I look next? Or is it possible I didnt install something correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah so, I had looked at a few pics before installing the csb to make sure I had it facing the correct way in relation to the splines on the DS. I think those may have been pics of e36 DSs. If I did install it backwards could this be causing the issue? I also didnt pre-load it.

Comment

First gear floored isn't a preload issue, it's a torque windup thing.
      Or alignment.

I'd look at that first, then your diff, trans and engine mounts.
      Also the slip joint- it needs to be loosened to allow things to align,
      then snugged pretty tight afterwards...

hth

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        First gear floored isn't a preload issue, it's a torque windup thing.
        Or alignment.

I'd look at that first, then your diff, trans and engine mounts.
        Also the slip joint- it needs to be loosened to allow things to align,
        then snugged pretty tight afterwards...

hth

t
        Thanks for the response. I'm going to ask some questions that will highlight my ignorance. But if I knew everything I would be here asking in the first place, lol. What is torque windup and does that imply its normal or represents another driveline issue? If I did install the csb backwards, would that cause an alignment issue? I am out of town but will definately check mounts (motor mounts are new). I only tighnted the driveshaft nut by hand. I will tighten it with a wrench and report back.

Comment

Torque windup is just a fancy way of saying that things move around when you
          put a lot of torque on them. And if the center slip joint's loose, that might
          let things move more than they should. I don't THINK you can install the CSB backwards,
          but on the (late?) car you might. It's been a while since I looked, but I remember
          that it'd be pretty obvious... but I might be wrong about that...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Dealing with a driveline issue myself...replaced the csb and still felt a faint vibration. Confirmed that my u joints are on their way out.

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to think it may be the diff. Motor and transmission mounts are good, diff mount could be better but isn't horrible. Could be the clutch packs maybe, I don't know. Could also be the driveshaft, I just don't want it to be, lol.

Comment

What you describe sounds like a classic description of binding u-joints in the drive shaft.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It was in fact the driveshaft. I purchased a previously rebuilt one with serviceable u-joint and installed it. Problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X