auto e30 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto e30 problem

Hi so i have a 1989 325i auto that i bought off an auction iaai for $300 it had a small front end hit but the previous owner took alot of parts off the car like trunk, icv valve, fuel pump and level unit, coolant hoses, belts, and some other little things so i bought all the things i saw missing got the engine running but when i went to see if it drove the transmission did nothing R D 123 none of them work i checked the shift linkage its there and everything seems to be there and most of the people i talked to said it was something electrical. one thing i noticed was under the steering colum there are cut wires and plugs just hanging if someone could tell me what could be missing that could not make the transmission work or what wires to check or anything that would be great.

Make sure it has fluid and that the cables are attached. There are no electrical controls that would prevent it from working.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      Make sure it has fluid and that the cables are attached. There are no electrical controls that would prevent it from working.
      I've checked the fluid and it's nice and red and the shift linkage is connected

Comment

Is there any diagnostic Ports on an auto trans or is there anyway to diagnose it

Comment

With the motor off. Put the rear end of the car up on jack stands and have a helper rotate the rear tires to rotate the drive shaft. Verify that all the bolts are present and that the drive shaft isn't just turning without the bolts. When someone else has screwed around before you, you find all kinds of goofy stuff missing. Look into the inspection hole on the under side of the "bell housing" area to be sure you have a torque converter in there.
          If your drive shaft is turning all the way into the transmission, try adjusting the linkage or disconnect it and see if the arm is connected to the selector shaft.

Comment

If anybody has a good e30 auto tranny let me know I live in Harrisonburg, VA I'll come pick it up up to 3 hrs away

Comment

I think the only diagnostic port on an E30 autobox is the dipstick...

heh

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X