Transmission fill plug stripped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission fill plug stripped!

I wanted to replace all fluids on my iX but when I got to the transmission I got greeted by a stripped fill plug by the previous owner. Great.

I tried to remove it with my 17mm imbus wrench but it just slid right out.

I then tried tapping it with a punch but that didn't do anything. Finally I tried some vice grips but mangled the bolt even further..

Any suggestions on what I could try to get this sucker out?

Thanks!
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

hammer and chisel, make a notch and hammer away. 60% of the time it works every time.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

...or a pipe wrench. I'd start with this, and then go to the chisel,
      just because the chisel runs the real chance of munging up the trans case.

40% of the time, it works...

heh

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Some heat on the aluminium may help, based on teh coefficients of expansion the aluminium will expand more than the steel and loosen it up. My good condition nut was still quite tight, i think it might be tapered thread.

Either way its cold chisel on the bit that you can see to try and turn it. If you drop the cross member you can drop the box a bit lower to get better access.

Comment

You might have enough exposed thread to get a bolt extractor on there.

Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

tack weld a nut to it and remove it, then replace it with a new plug. Good luck
            88' E30 325 24v Turbo Coupe
            91' E30 325i Sedan
            09' E82 135i Coupe (Sold)
            01' E46 325ci Coupe (Sold)
            97' E36 328is Coupe (Sold)
            91' E30 325i m52 Coupe (Sold)
            90' E30 325is Coupe (Sold)
            90' E30 325ic Coupe (Sold)
            88' E30 325is m20 Turbo Coupe (Sold)
            88' E30 325 Coupe (Sold)
            87' E30 325e Coupe (Sold)
            86' E30 325es Coupe (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              hammer and chisel, make a notch and hammer away. 60% of the time it works every time.
              Already tried that and mangled the plug even further down to 60% :p

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              ...or a pipe wrench. I'd start with this, and then go to the chisel,
              just because the chisel runs the real chance of munging up the trans case.

40% of the time, it works...

heh

t
              Might have to give the pipe wrench a go, haven't tried that one yet

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Some heat on the aluminium may help, based on teh coefficients of expansion the aluminium will expand more than the steel and loosen it up. My good condition nut was still quite tight, i think it might be tapered thread.

Either way its cold chisel on the bit that you can see to try and turn it. If you drop the cross member you can drop the box a bit lower to get better access.
              BMW states a M24x1,5 plug, so I guess this means not tapered?
              Also it's an iX so no cross member on the transmission but the Transfer case, not sure if this would work on the iX as i would have to remove the front shaft etc

Originally posted by noid View Post
              You might have enough exposed thread to get a bolt extractor on there.

I don't know if any stores here have these around here and I definitely mangled the threads by hammering on it with a chisel :)

Originally posted by SSR-125 View Post
              tack weld a nut to it and remove it, then replace it with a new plug. Good luck
              I've also considered this but there isn't much room to weld a bolt / nut on the old plug. The heat will probably also heat up the aluminium so it might be easier to get it loose

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                I don't know if any stores here have these around here and I definitely mangled the threads by hammering on it with a chisel :)
                Mangled is what theses are good for.

Lowes has them:
                Shop IRWIN Bolt-grip 5-Pack Metric and Standard (Sae) Assorted drive Bolt Extractor Set at Lowe's.com. The bolt-grip fastener remover is designed to work with multiple drive options including ratchets, impact wrenches, flat wrenches, and locking pliers. It has a
                Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

You'd need a huge one, though...

It is tapered- and it often wedges itself in there pretty good.
                  I'm thinking at this point you might be down to welding.
                  I'm not gonna lie, it's gonna suck.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                    Mangled is what theses are good for.

Lowes has them:
                    https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-BOLT-...8-40b4188cb319
                    I'm from Belgium, we don't have such big hardware stores around here

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    You'd need a huge one, though...

It is tapered- and it often wedges itself in there pretty good.
                    I'm thinking at this point you might be down to welding.
                    I'm not gonna lie, it's gonna suck.

t
                    Yeah, it's gonna suck. I might wait to replace the transmission fluid since the previous owner f*cked the threads of my transfer case where the drain plug bolts into too.
                    This would mean that I have to drop the T case to replace the half where the drain plug screws into. Luckily I have a spare T case laying around.

I'll then drop the transmission too so I have more room to work with. and since I'm there replace the clutch and other parts also.. :p

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                    X