Seized driveshaft bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized driveshaft bolts

I need to drop the tank to make a rust repair (tank mounting tab is ruating out) this as we all know requires you to remove the drive shaft.

How the hell do I do this.. ive soaked it in liquid wernch and hammered the shit out of a 17mm to try and break them loose but they wont even budge.. people say bust out the torch but I'm not comfortable with that as my tank is open (filler neck off) right next to the area I would need to heat up..

I tried the front end of the shaft as well but being an auto theres no flex disk.. the shaft just meets up with the transmission output flange thus theres absolutely no room to acess the bolts on the transmission side.

Theres no room for a socket or impact. I'm losing my patience with this bs.. anyone got any tricks?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I disconnect the CSB and use a wobble extension on an impact. Makes quick work of it.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yeah, even an auto should have a flex disk
      sigpic
      Gun control means using both hands
      Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
        Yeah, even an auto should have a flex disk
        Well I dont... Sould i be concerned taking in to consideration Im gonna have to rebuild the entire rear cause of a cracked subframe and plan on swapping in the next year.. Ill snap a pic when I get back under the car..

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        I disconnect the CSB and use a wobble extension on an impact. Makes quick work of it.
        I would but I cant even get a socket in there.. I went out and bought some long wrenches and will probably havr to use a pipe on the end.. thats the only way i can think of with out fire.

Comment

Six point box wrenches and cheater pipe. You can put a piece of plastic over the metal spout for the fuel tank and a rubber band. Give it a few minutes for the fuel vapors to clear.

I had a set of these that were totally seized and had to cut them off after they stripped out.
          sigpic
          Gun control means using both hands
          Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Breaker bar with a pipe or hit it with a small sledge. Pretty sure mine need the breaker bar and a 4lb sledge to knock them free.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RobTapps88 View Post
              I would but I cant even get a socket in there.. I went out and bought some long wrenches and will probably havr to use a pipe on the end.. thats the only way i can think of with out fire.
              Are you trying to use a black 6 point impact socket? I use a 12 point chrome, just barely fits. Then a 1/2" by 6" wobble extension (universal might work too) to get the impact gun away from the drive shaft.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Are you trying to use a black 6 point impact socket? I use a 12 point chrome, just barely fits. Then a 1/2" by 6" wobble extension (universal might work too) to get the impact gun away from the drive shaft.
                Damn you smart.. how the hell you know i was using an impact socket?? Lol ill have to try a standard one later today

Comment

Originally posted by RobTapps88 View Post
                  Damn you smart.. how the hell you know i was using an impact socket?? Lol ill have to try a standard one later today

Deductive reasoning.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Working...
                  X