Re-installing tranmission... I must be missing something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-installing tranmission... I must be missing something

SO I replaced the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate (I have the clutch disk aligned to the pilot bearing (etc,etc). Resealed the trans, lubed the appropriate pieces, and replaced a whole bunch of other junk. The motor is out of the car sitting on a pallet,

Now im at the point of mating the trans back to the block, BUT I CANT GET THE DAMN INPUT SHAFT THROUGH THE CLUTCH DISK AND THE PILOT BEARING. I know I cant rest the weight of the trans on the input shaft, so each attempt results with me taking it back off and trying again, to no avail. The transmission is in neutral.

Does anyone have a tip or trick to putting these back on "easily" or is it complete trial and error? My back is killing me and ive been at this on and off for 2 days now...

Are you using a Crain or just picking it up and trying to align it? You used a clutch alignment tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 BMW 325i Sedan
    Mods:
    -Condor Poly CABs

Comment

Yes I used a clutch alignment tool, so everything is properly in place on the flywheel side.

At first I was man-handling the trans into place, after about 30 tries I started using a jack (the motor is supported with a engine hoist).

Comment

Put the trans in gear and rotate it (or the tail shaft) as you slide it in. Also, make sure there's no rust or burs on the trans input shaft - the tiniest marks can make the pilot near impossible. They are kind of a pain to do when the drive train is on the ground as the engine will want to move as you go to put it on.

Also, make sure the alignment tool slides in and out nice and easy. Sometimes you won't realize, but the tool will get crooked as the pressure plate bolts are snugged.

I just did on last week on the lift alone. No trans jack, help is out of town, so I just heaved it over head. I am now shopping for a trans jack :/
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks for the advice. There is a tiny bit of rust on the input shaft, ill go over it and get it polished a bit better. I will also re align the clutch disk and pilot bearing, as ive noticed the clutch alignment tool doesn't slide in and out as easily as I expected it should. Is there anything I can do to make sure the tightening of the pressure plate won't cock the clutch disk out of alignment again (if that should be the case)?

Comment

Just make sure the alignment tool is as centered as possible while tightening the pressure plate. If you could get a second set of hands, all the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1990 BMW 325i Sedan
            Mods:
            -Condor Poly CABs

Comment

I usually push in on the alignment tool to keep it straight, then slowly tighten the pressure plat nuts in a crisscross pattern to keep it centered.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Does the alignment tool still fit in? Maybe the disk moved somehow after you pulled the tool out.

Comment

Further to John's good advice, I'll then try reinserting the alignment tool at a slight
                  angle from each side to try to see if it feels 'really centered'- the tools usually have a
                  little slop, so if they're allowed to rest sideways (like they would if you installed
                  the clutch vertically, and let the friction disc sit on them) things aren't exactly centered.

all I got,
                  t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Put the trans in gear and rotate it (or the tail shaft) as you slide it in. Also, make sure there's no rust or burs on the trans input shaft - the tiniest marks can make the pilot near impossible. They are kind of a pain to do when the drive train is on the ground as the engine will want to move as you go to put it on.

Also, make sure the alignment tool slides in and out nice and easy. Sometimes you won't realize, but the tool will get crooked as the pressure plate bolts are snugged.

I just did on last week on the lift alone. No trans jack, help is out of town, so I just heaved it over head. I am now shopping for a trans jack :/

Worked great! Thanks for the suggestion. Now off to attempt the driveshaft, then the entire rear subframe... This better be all worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X