Differential Bolt Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Bolt Torque

I just recently got my diff back together and got my car driving, and all was well for a few days. But then sadly I noticed my garage smelled like diff fluid and that my diff was dripping quite a bit. I got under the car and noticed that one of the bolts on the side covers (carriers? whatever they are called) had broken.

I made the mistake of reusing the old bolts - which i totally know better than to do but I was lazy and impatient. So after attempting to find said bolts at a couple hardware stores I realized they are a slightly strange size and after springing a leak once I didn't want to chance it by using bolts that were just 'close.' So I ordered the very overpriced bolts from pelican and am currently waiting for them to arrive.

Thats a very long way to ask if anyone knows what the torque setting for these bolts is supposed to be? I've found many forums of people asking and getting many different answers that I don't necessarily trust. Its not in the Bentley manual as far as I can find. I'm wondering if I over torqued the old bolt, which was already weakened from being reused. Basically I'd like to get this thing fixed and never think about it again. :)

I'm referring to #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_0116

Thanks!

30nm (23ft-lb).
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Awesome, thanks! And also a different number from what the other forum posts were. I definitely over tightened the bolts that are in there! Why isn't this in the Bentley!?!?

Comment

Should be. At least a place it shows torque values when none are stated. I never used a Bentley, so not entirely sure how it is set up.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

It just kind strangely of skips over that part of the diff assembly - Its usually quite thorough. Maybe its in there but buried in a strange place. What do you use that you were able to pull that torque setting up so easily?

Comment

I have digital shop manuals, and since ~90% of the shop work load is e30's, the manual was already pulled up - two clicks of the mouse and I had it lol.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Sounds handy

Comment

Oh, another question. Is threadlocker recommended for any of these bolts? And if so (which I assume it is) which color should I use? Does the diff get hot enough to use the red threadlocker?

I really want to get it right this time so I can finally stop messing with this stupid diff and just drive my car for a while.

Comment

Use blue on the half shaft to output flange
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Use a thread sealant on the *rear-most* bolt(s). I don't remember which way the 6 bolt pattern is oriented on the 188's, but the bolt(s) that are closest to the flange where the rear cover bolts on are through-holes, while the others are blind. Put sealant on the bolts going into the through-holes.

Comment

Update: When I was pulling the side covers off to replace the bolts with new ones I also noticed that the seals weren't properly seated and were probably the cause of the leak. So I bought a seal driver kit and got them all the way in this time. I also used some Gray Silicone Gasket Maker on the side covers, and blue thread locker on bolts. Everything has been back together for about a week now and so far no leaks! Mission accomplished, now I'm going to try to not ever touch my differential again.

Comment

Working...
                      X