Weird grinding noise coming from rear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird grinding noise coming from rear.

Hey guys, recently noticed this happening. I'm hearing a grinding noise coming from my rear driver's side wheel area. This only happens when I floor the car and it's usually around 4-5k RPM (around the time the back starts to dip). I thought it was my wheel rubbing against the fender since my car's low but it's not that since both the tire and the wheel don't have any scuff marks on them. I also thought it was the differential but it doesn't happen when I'm driving normally, even at much higher speeds. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this grinding noise?

this guy?

now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Pretty good chance it is that guy.

hows all the bushes in the rear? Could be anything based on your description.

wheels off, car on the jack stands, inspect all of the things.

Comment

I,d suspect a bad rear wheel bearing.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Pretty good chance it is that guy.

hows all the bushes in the rear? Could be anything based on your description.

wheels off, car on the jack stands, inspect all of the things.
          The only bushings I know that are good in the back are the sway bar bushings and I know it can't be those haha. I'll check it out soon.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          I,d suspect a bad rear wheel bearing.
          That's kinda what I'm hoping it is. How hard are these to replace?

Comment

Get a mechanic's stethoscope, jack up the back end of your car and listen to each wheel bearing as you turn the wheel by hand. The difference between a good bearing and a failing bearing should be evident. Listen to your diff too.

Comment

Could be something broken in the parking brake mechanism

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

rear bearings aren't hard to replace if you have a specific bearing tool. HF has one for around $100 called the "FWD wheel bearing kit." You also need a slide hammer and a hub adapter to attach the slide hammer (as well as a sledge to hammer the axle shaft out from the bearing and some allen sockets to take the axle shafts off the diff)

You know what, just read this: http://www.rtsauto.com/how-to-change...ing-on-an-e30/

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

So I took my car to a shop my friend works at and used their lift. I think I found what the problem is... the differential bushing is completely shot and is causing play in the left axle.

Comment

I wonder if this the problem I'm having on my E30. Rubbing/grinding/vibration noise coming from the rear diff area. It's awful at around 60mph. Car feels like it's going to disintegrate.

I'm 99% sure the guibo and CSB were replaced when the auto was converted to manual. The diff was changed at this time as well.
                    90 Bronzit 325is
                    16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I have been hearing a noise from the rear left (driver side) as well. It only occurs once the car get up to about 15-20 mph and then it's constant after that. It's not really a grinding sound, though. It's more of a whooshing sound. I wonder if the bearing is starting to go bad but not enough to qualify as "grinding."

Any thoughts? TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by VaderDave View Post
                        I have been hearing a noise from the rear left (driver side) as well. It only occurs once the car get up to about 15-20 mph and then it's constant after that. It's not really a grinding sound, though. It's more of a whooshing sound. I wonder if the bearing is starting to go bad but not enough to qualify as "grinding."

Any thoughts? TIA.
                        I don't think the bushing would cause a constant noise. What you're experiencing is something that's speed-based so I'd look at stuff like the rear axles or wheel bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Narek View Post
                          I don't think the bushing would cause a constant noise. What you're experiencing is something that's speed-based so I'd look at stuff like the rear axles or wheel bearings.
                          I agree. I had mentioned a bearing in my other post. I'm glad you got your issue sorted out, though--I'm hopeful I can figure out what's up with my car soon. :)

Comment

Nasty grinding sound here too, left rear. But at slow speeds, like pulling into a driveway. No sound driving straight or at speed. Replaced rear diff bushing, diff fluid, driveshaft, and axles. Bearings are only thing left, right?

Comment

Working...
                            X