Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone curious about what a limited slip unit looks like? (56k=no)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone curious about what a limited slip unit looks like? (56k=no)

Here it is. The tear down of a limited slip unit. I pulled it apart in order to throw an extra clutch in there for more lock-up and to make a 4.10LSD from the 4.10 open that was in my old automatic.
    If you intend on trying this, make sure you use a SHORT allen on the allen bolts, otherwise you WILL strip them out. They are 6mm allen bolts. The ring gear is pressed on and you have to get it off with a hammer. It's not all that hard, except getting the speed pickup ring back on, I am still working on that.
    Hope this clears some things up and makes it so that the LSD isn't so mysterious to everyone now.

Open rear end:

Now on to the good part:

Jon
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Oooookay, that's for an S4.10.

can you do the same for an S3.73 please

thank yoU!
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Actually, that LS unit came out of a S3.64. I pulled the ring gear out of my old open 4.10 and threw the ring gear on the LS unit for an S4.10. The LS unit is the same between all gear ratios, as long as the diff size is the same (ie, small case, medium case, large case), unless there is a different size for each case size.
      My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

cheers for that thats very interesting! i need to change my ratio from 3.73 to something around 3.25 for the 8 so i might try find an open 3,25 and use the gear from that to convert it
        sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
        Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
        NEW One on the track :)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
        Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

that is super cool... doesn't look like it was very worn...
          Slicktop City!

Comment

if i send you a 3.73 pumpkin and the bimmerworld upgraded clutch packs will you do the install for me? :)

Comment

Are the bimmerworld clutches replacements, or additions?
              My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                Are the bimmerworld clutches replacements, or additions?
                Where did you get your replacement clutch/disc?

I would hesitate to add clutches without machining the housing and measuring the preload on the stack when you finish... it would be easy to build yourself a 100% lockup diff that way.

If you know somebody with an EDM machine, you can change your ramp angles also...

Comment

Yea I know, I'm pulling it back apart next week to measure a few things and polish the spider gears. I wish I knew someone with an EDM machine.
                  When changing ramp angles, do you change the angle that the side of the spider gear touches? Like the inside walls of the spider gear housing?
                  My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Yes, you change the angle shown in this picture where the back of the gear is resting.

Comment

Yea, I wasn't sure if it was at the back of the gear or somewhere else on the spider gear itself.
                      My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Ok, to update this thread. I did get the speed sensor ring on by heating it up and letting it cool and contract around the seat that it is on. It really is very simple.
                        I don't know why people really think that the rear end is so mysterious. The only thing that I could see as being difficult is setting the pinion depth and preload. Even then, if you have a dial indicator and some shims it wouldn't be very difficult.
                        I did end up using some scotch brite and a fine brass wire wheel to try and polish the gears. I got them to shine, but not as polished as some of the professional rebuild places can offer.
                        My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Hey,

What is the drag torque spec when crushing the pinion crush washer?

Thanks!

Comment

bump--

NEEDS A STICKY!!

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
                            click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
                              bump--

NEEDS A STICKY!!

Not exactly something the home mechanic let alone the kids on this board sshould be messing with themselves .

I'll reserve judgement until this car actually drives around with this rebuild .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                              X