Yet Another 5 spd swap. YES I USED THE SEARCH!!!
Collapse
X
-
Tip: Remove driver's seat. Makes things LOTS easier. And ppl look at you funny when youre literally sitting in the seat the opposite way normal people do. -
you can't really use non-airbag pedals in an airbag car. in a non-airbag car, you can swap out the whole box - you could swap out the box in an airbag car, but it's almost impossible to get it out, and the non-airbag box doesn't fit.
it's much easier to get the pedals themselves from an airbag car and install them into your pedal box - they are the same between auto and manual anyway, the only difference is the brake/cluch pedals. it's just one long bolt, kinda hard to get it out but not anywhere near as difficult as it is to remove the whole pedal assembly. and the threads for the MC are already there..Leave a comment:
-
Thanks shiboujin. Great info regarding the flywheel. My car has an airbag and the donor I'm looking at does not, hence the concern over different pedals.Leave a comment:
-
1: Autos dont have flywheels, they have starter wheels. You cant use the auto one you need to get the flywheel from the donor car. If you get one from the donor car, get the starter with it to make sure they mate up. Getrag 260s came with both single and dual mass flywheels but regardless you need the right clutch kit for whichever one you get.
2: No real big idea about that. The pedals were about 6 bolts and came out easy on a non air bag. Both cars I dealt with had no air bag so if yours is the same it shouldnt be a problem.Leave a comment:
-
Since we're on the topic of the 5-speed swap again......., I've been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as I can before I do the swap on my 1992 325iC. There are still a couple of things of which I am not sure, so I'm hoping for some advice.
1. Is the flywheel the same for auto and 5-speed cars? If not, does it matter whether the donor car has a single mass flywheel? If I end up having to get a new flywheel, is it correct that any Gertrag 260 will mate up to a dual mass flywheel, and I just need to get the correct clutch kit?
2. I've read in previous posts that the pedal assemblies are different in the airbag vs non-airbag cars. If the donor car is non-airbag, what problems will that create regarding the pedals. Also, when did e30s get airbags? I am looking at an 89 donor that has no airbag.
Thanks! CoryLeave a comment:
-
-
hehe, mine has been wired into the window lock switch... to deter you thieving typeLeave a comment:
-
Congrats on getting it done .
Hows your cruise working ?Leave a comment:
-
Ok....SO! I did the entire swap..And I must say, that its the easiest damn thing to do EVER!!!! The hardest part of the whole swap was getting the line between the salve and the master cylinder on. Other than that.. It was cake! Thanks for all the help!Leave a comment:
-
IM THE BIGGEST RETARD!!!!! I got the disc to work.. After I looked at at the shaft and disc closer, I found that the shaft had excessive rust on it.. So i cleaned it with some PB BLASTER and wah lah! it worked.. Thanks for your help, I now feel like the biggest retard :pLeave a comment:
-
Oh, I wouldn't doubt you there - but I am almost positive that a dual-mass clutch won't work with a single mass flywheel.
If they do...I have a spec stage 1 sitting at home that'd I'd LOVE to use! LOLLeave a comment:
-
I remember staring at both dual mass and single mass and the mating surfaces looked like they were at the same level. *shrugs* better to match them up to be 100% sure anyways.Leave a comment:
-
i will try a clutch kit for an 89 325 then. The flywheel that i have is a single mass off of a supposed 85 325 e.. But for sure it's a single mass!!! I tried sliding the disc over the shaft 20 times on the bench, yet nothing, I'll check it later today and give you an update, maybe I'll get out the calipers and measure it! Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know soon!Leave a comment:
-
Think you're wrong there buddy.Eh? your tranny should be a getrag 260 which is the same through all years. The flywheel IIRC only matters for the starter. It shouldnt have any effect on the tranny/clutch bolting up. Id get the kit for whichever starter your car has. Although ive swapped flywheels before and the car still worked.
I dont get why the shafts would be miss matched.
There are two flywheels that you can have - single or dual mass. Single is obviously one big piece of metal, and dual mass is very obviously TWO pieces of metal. Depending on the type of flywheel you use, you need the clutch and pressure plate to go with that (Clutch kit, if you will)
If I were you, find a single mass flywheel, get a clutch kit for a 1989 325is (safe bet for a single mass) and have the flywheel shaved down to like 13-14lbs to make it lightweight!
HOWEVER, like the fellow above, the fact that the output shaft was too big for your clutch makes NO sense at all - the output shaft is identical for all inline 6 e30s - I'm almost positive on that.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: