stainless clutch hose for e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stainless clutch hose for e30?

i cant seem to find a source for a stainless clutch line for the e30. they seem to only be available for post e36.

anyone?
    90 E30 325i

Unlike the brakes, the soft line for the clutch slave cylinder is in a relatively benign environment. So there's not a great advantage to a SS line. Install a new OE line and forget about that part for the next twenty years or so.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I installed a stainless line sold by a member of this forum on my track car. All other relevant clutch hydraulic components were new OEM (master, slave, pressure plate). When I installed it, the pedal would return very slowly. Removed the stainless line, installed a used OEM line, all was good.

He was kind enough to send me another. I installed it, and the same thing happened, slow returning pedal. Re-installed the OEM line, all was good again. I blew in one end of the stainless line, and then the other. Blowing air through from the slave cylinder side, it was about twice as much resistance as the other side. Not sure what the deal was, but it was like that on both lines.

I would stick with OEM. For one thing, there's no reason to switch. Just like with brake lines, there is no real reason to upgrade. I've even heard that OEM hoses expand less then stainless lines, defeating the purpose...
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

so you're suggesting that 20 year old rubber brake hoses are better than new stainless steel lines?
        90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
          so you're suggesting that 20 year old rubber brake hoses are better than new stainless steel lines?

did you not read what he just wrote....
          1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
          1987 e30 325 eta
          1983 e28 533
          2001 x5 4.4l
          1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
          1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
            did you not read what he just wrote....
            You can put all sorts of effort into writing a clear and informative post, but you cannot control the reading comprehension of your audience.

To be honest, since the stainless hose did not work, and the 20 year old hose did, then yes, I am suggesting that. On top of that, I'd suggest a new OEM hose.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              You can put all sorts of effort into writing a clear and informative post, but you cannot control the reading comprehension of your audience.

To be honest, since the stainless hose did not work, and the 20 year old hose did, then yes, I am suggesting that. On top of that, I'd suggest a new OEM hose.
              i understood your point, i just found it quite suprising.

i understand that your experience was poor with a specific clutch line and therefore the OE version was superior.

My second question was directed more specificially at the brake lines. I see you race your car, therefore brake performance is (or should) be at the top of your list for safety. Im also going to race my 20 year old e30 this summer, and i have a safety concern with using 20 year old brake hoses.

so im curious to know what brake hoses you run on your car? i figure if i have to buy replacements, i would go SS vs new OEM ones.
              90 E30 325i

Comment

I don't really get the point of spending a lot of money on an SS clutch hose - for the bling aspect? maybe if you have an insane pressure plate that requires huge amounts of force to disengage, but even the sachs race PP feels pretty much like OEM. A new OEM rubber line is more than enough upgrade, i'd save my money for mods that actually make a difference.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i understood your point, i just found it quite suprising.

i understand that your experience was poor with a specific clutch line and therefore the OE version was superior.

My second question was directed more specificially at the brake lines. I see you race your car, therefore brake performance is (or should) be at the top of your list for safety. Im also going to race my 20 year old e30 this summer, and i have a safety concern with using 20 year old brake hoses.

so im curious to know what brake hoses you run on your car? i figure if i have to buy replacements, i would go SS vs new OEM ones.

At no point would I recommend using 20 year old hoses. I would recommend using new OEM hoses, though.

Let me ask you, what benefit do you have using $125+ stainless lines over $80 OEM lines? OEM lines are proven to hold up 20+ years, are stainless lines? Have you had issues with the performance of your OEM lines?

I've heard, from sources I trust, that OEM rubber lines have less expansion the stainless lines.

I use stainless lines because I bought them before I knew any of this. I won't buy them again. To me, the fitment isn't that great, they were more expensive, and they don't do seem to do a single thing for performance.

Comment

I have a stainless clutch line. I believe I bought it from blueapplesoda (sp?) here or on e30tech. It was a cheaper than the OEM line. It fit fine and I've had no issues. Honestly it was more of a cost decision than anything else. Since it was an "upgrade" I went for it. If they were the same price, I probably would have gone OEM.

As for a better/different feel, I installed a new racing clutch and PP at the same time, so I can't comment on that.

'88 325is
                    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

i just hit up pelican parts, and full ATE replacement brake + clutch hoses cost a little less than an SS kit for brakes only.

so cost isnt really much of an issue here, a small difference. im almost convinced to go with new OEM hoses, but still unsure. this is the first time ive heard of a quality SS line being inferior to a rubber hose.
                      90 E30 325i

Comment

i just hit up pelican parts, and full ATE replacement brake + clutch hoses cost a little less than an SS kit for brakes only.

so cost isnt really much of an issue here, a small difference. im almost convinced to go with new OEM hoses, but still unsure. this is the first time ive heard of a quality SS line being inferior to a rubber hose.
                        It may not be inferior. But why spend more on a part that won't make a difference and does NOT have a proven longevity record? I haven't heard anyone having issues with stock lines on track cars. It's the same deal with rotors. Everyone feels the need to "upgrade" to slotted or cross drilled, when Brembo blanks work amazing.

Comment

Working...
                        X