Driveline angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline angle

Just put in a clutch in my e30 swap. Zf 320 trans. Put it back together the way it was before I dropped the tranny. I didn't notice any driveline angles during disassembly but I didn't look for it either.
    Does this look right? The car had no driveline issues before.

Wow, unless it was canted because of the swap it's not optimal, but probably won't break itself immediately at that angle.

Check engine/trans mounts, diff/subframe bushings. Can't tell with the pic, but looks like the center bearing isn't mouted correctly or is moved for some reason.

Comment

The rear section looks ok, judging from the distance from the fuel tank on each side. The engine looks shifted to the passenger side for some reason. Maybe the motor mounts are turned 180°?

Comment

I'll pull the driveline again, lift the engine and start over. Post back what I find. Thanks for the replys.

Comment

You stated you didn't notice it before. Did you use a later E36 shaft with an E30 CSB installed backwards? That's how mine was before I swapped it out for a rebuilt big flange ETA driveshaft. It bolted right in and is straight as an arrow now.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The CSB looks backwards...
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

It was the CSB. Turned it around this morning and it's straight now. Noticed nothing with it at an angle for the last 5 years.

Comment

Good both to find a solution and have a data point.

Comment

Working...
                X