Reality check on 5spd swap/linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality check on 5spd swap/linkage

Bought my 91 coupe from a shop in Reseda, CA. Car was originally an auto; shop owner did a 5spd swap. Linkage is horribly sloppy -- owner claims that's because mounting points are different between the two transmission setups. I smell bullshit but thought I'd check with the experts. Car runs great otherwise. Linkage is fine up and back. Crazy sloppy laterally, tho -- shifter slightly contacts trim surround piece when I go into reverse.

Really like the car but shift linkage is the last major functional issue keeping me truly enjoying having an e30 again. My previous e30 came with a 5spd from the factory and linkage was fine.
    ainadude
    Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

There are minor differences, between early and late model transmissions, but that doesn't make a difference how any of it bolts up.

My guess is, whoever did the job, didn't change any of the bushings or the joint on the back of the trans.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

...or they used an early shifter plate that always has slop, even when new, and is horrible once worn...
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        ...or they used an early shifter plate that always has slop, even when new, and is horrible once worn...
        can confirm plate style shifter being awful. Trying to make it better this week and feeling like it's just not going to be good. Don't have the tabs to convert it to late style either.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post

can confirm plate style shifter being awful. Trying to make it better this week and feeling like it's just not going to be good. Don't have the tabs to convert it to late style either.
          I have seen many times where people use the flywheel backing plate cut in two pieces and bent to hold the shifter. Been a long time since I have seen one of those threads here, but probably could find it in a search.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Change the shift joint, on the back of the trans, with a new one, from the dealer, and they are definitely tolerable. Not my favorite setup, at all, but it is what it is.

If only, someone made a similar bracket, like BMW did on the E30 M3, to accept the later style, aluminum, shift carrier - but for a Getrag 260...
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
              There are minor differences, between early and late model transmissions, but that doesn't make a difference how any of it bolts up.

My guess is, whoever did the job, didn't change any of the bushings or the joint on the back of the trans.
              Can those components you reference be changed from inside the passenger compartment or does tranny need to be dropped?
              ainadude
              Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by ainadude View Post

Can those components you reference be changed from inside the passenger compartment or does tranny need to be dropped?
                Neither. You can reach around the drive shaft from underneath and change all the shift components.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Neither. You can reach around the drive shaft from underneath and change all the shift components.
                  Gotcha. Thanks, and Merry Christmas.
                  ainadude
                  Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by ainadude View Post

Gotcha. Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Same! Got a new laptop from one of the kids, and you can guess the first site visited once setup :p
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Score! Enjoy the day! :-)
                      ainadude
                      Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                      X