m20-e46zf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20-e46zf

So now that e36 5speeds are becoming more expensive(e36-350+, compared to 100-250 for a e46((in my area)), im wondering is the e46 5 speed zf be the same and use the same driveshaft?

Nope, not the same. Shorter, methinks.

Most critically, 5th gear is 1:1, so you may end up changing your diff.
    Or find a 6- speed, which has an overdrive, but is much harder to find.

But you can use it if you scrounge for driveshaft parts. I forget the combination required, sorry.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It will bolt up, and the Getrag/ZF's from the e36 and e46 are dimensionally the same - problem when using on an m20 is going to be the angle it sits in relation to the chassis. Think opposite of the g260/m50 combinations.

Gear ratios are the same in the e36 and e46 zf's, but as Toby mentioned, you will want at least a 3.23 (or lower numerically) diff ratio.

Here is a great calculator I use to show customers what ratios they want for what tracks etc, you can use it to see what your highway speeds will be...

https://www.endtuning.com/gearratios/

These guys are doing zf swaps in Miata's, some good info here:

https://kmiata.com/blogs/news/big-ne...for-your-miata

The drive shaft you would use on either zf will work, but the m20/g260 shaft will be too short, as well as have the small Giubo where the zf uses the larger/thicker one. I have cut and welded many an e30 drive shaft to shorten them - along with welding the large Giubo on a 318is shortened shaft since it's thicker where it's cut, one is in a S/C'd s54 swapped car - no issues after a year of abuse. I cut the large Giubo flange off a donor shaft, lathe turned the cut to be square on the 318 shaft, then turned the flange so it was a light press fit into the shaft tube, making sure to mimic the orientation, then TIG'd it on.

john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thank you for the response guys, as Im doing a auto to manual swap. Ill pick up a e46 zf and driveshaft and mod it to fit then. On a side not should I use a flywheel and clutch from a e36? and yes im sticking to a m20 for now.

Comment

With m20 power, you are fine with an m20 clutch kit, and a side benefit is you can keep your m20 starter. The 4 valve engines have a different ring gear count (m42, and 24v sixes), therefore require the different starter (or to at least swap out the bendix and gears).
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks, now to hunt for the pedal assembly.

Comment

Pedal assemblies are interchangablel for all e30.. The only difference is the factory used up it's universal boxes that have threaded holes to hold the mater cylinder, especially in later models, you will find they didn't take the time to add the captive nuts on ALL. So, some of them have a square hole in place of a welded captive nut, but, most early have the captive nuts, which means you can just change out the longer hinge bolt and use a manual brake pedal, bolt, and clutch pedal in your current box, and eliminate the need to remove the brake booster hardware completely.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

ok thanks for the info. im glad this forum is still around, im steeping back in now after 10years of not having a e30. so im quite rusty on most topics.

Comment

...and here I am still working in them for a living lol. Much better than the days of $500 e30's, not many people wanted to have quality work done to their $800 car haha. Now the E46 is the cheapest if the 3 series.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Damn $500, I over payed for the first one $600. lol yeah I’m back on the fun train. Starting to look to do a manual swap for the summer fun.

yeah I got a E46 325xi wagon. That’s what brought me back to the E30 scene. Cause the xi is fun in the winter but in the summer I wouldn’t mind the rwd fun.

Comment

nee-ner, nee-ner. the days of the free 'title- problem' parts car aren't quite over up here yet.

But I dive on one on the odd occasion that it shows up in the Pick-n-Pull...

(2.91 LSD last month, for $56- I thought THOSE days were over...)

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                      X