Rebuilt Driveshaft Flange Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt Driveshaft Flange Issue

Hey all, curious if anyone's seen anything like this before. I got a rebuilt driveshaft from Wholesale Import Parts, a place I know other E30 people have had success with, however the flange at the driveshaft end appears to be incorrect. They're trying to tell me that it isn't, but I've measured it, and as you can see, it's 6mm longer than the OE driveshaft I pulled off the car. This results in it bottoming out on the transmission flange, putting tension on the giubo, and vibrating like hell.

Besides the fact that this means I need to figure out some other solution for my driveshaft, WIP is also threatening to charge me a 15% restocking fee if the driveshaft matches their blueprint, as they claim they've never had an issue with it in the past. I'm concerned there's some difference between their blueprint, and what's specified for my '90 325i 5-speed.

Hoping someone can chime in with some words of wisdom. Otherwise I'll document the saga here and hopefully this can help someone else out down the line.

The flange in the right photo was replaced recently. You can see the weld marks.
    Did you measure its diameter?

The length of that part should be smaller than the giubo width.

Comment

What's the step in the 2nd photo?
      There are variations in the bushing that fits in the nose of the driveshaft, and it LOOKS kinda like a
      bushing sticking out of the nose.

Paying with credit cards gives you so many fun options when 'restocking fees' are threatened.

t
      people sitting in chairs are at a disadvantage in most types of fighting.
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Once the driveshaft was received back and inspected by WIP they claimed they found no issue, however they gave me a full refund anyway. Whatever...

Got a new driveshaft from BMW, flange matches the old OE flange, doesn't bottom out on the trans, no issues. Car's riding smooth now :)

Comment

Working...
        X