Transmissions from Metric Mechanic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    $3k is about spot on with proper replacement of parts - synchros and shafts aren't getting any cheaper output shaft and 3 synchro set alone will run you $1200, and that's if you can even find the third one, been back-ordered for a minute .

Condor resells the boxes, they don't rebuild AFAIK. I'm sure I can do them, and even have a stockpile of g260's, just not enough hours in the day to take on more tasks at work.
    Yup, I'm expecting to pay someone well to replace the synchros in mine or a rebuilt transmission. I thought special machinery is required to open these but if you have the tools then that's really cool. Still thinking on what I can do to get the best bang for my buck. Digger's suggestion sounds reasonable. It is possible mine only requires a single synchro to be replaced and if I bought a complete rebuild, I'd be paying for more than what I need. There's really no way to find out unless if I can get someone to open it and look.

Comment

Local BMW dealer in San Diego quoted $3200 for a remanufactured 5 speed G260 transmission from BMW in Germany (exchange) part #23001221205.

Comment

Originally posted by ghrays View Post
        Local BMW dealer in San Diego quoted $3200 for a remanufactured 5 speed G260 transmission from BMW in Germany (exchange) part #23001221205.
        Really? No way, I'm located in San Diego haha which dealer if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Bnardog View Post

Really? No way, I'm located in San Diego haha which dealer if you don't mind me asking?
          Any BMW dealer.
          Escondido: https://www.bmwdiscountparts.com/oem...on-23001221205

Comment

This was from BMW of Encinitas, with a healthy (20+%) discount. Of course this does not include labor. They wouldn’t work on a car as old as an E30 anyway, so you would either be on your own or find a shop to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
              Hm, I'll follow up with BMW of San Diego this weekend and see what they quote me at.

Comment

Originally posted by ghrays View Post
                This was from BMW of Encinitas, with a healthy (20+%) discount. Of course this does not include labor. They wouldn’t work on a car as old as an E30 anyway, so you would either be on your own or find a shop to do the work.
                I honestly did not know BMW dealers still sold transmissions for 30+ year old cars. Yeah I do plan on finding a shop or tackling the project myself. I've seen a few videos of people doing it themselves and it doesn't seem too bad and looks sort of fun haha

Comment

That's a smoking deal for a BMW rebuilt transmission!
                  Especially since it comes with a 12 month warranty from them as well.
                  Kinda makes the rebuilds from other indy shops seem less appealing.
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                    That's a smoking deal for a BMW rebuilt transmission!
                    Especially since it comes with a 12 month warranty from them as well.
                    Kinda makes the rebuilds from other indy shops seem less appealing.
                    Yeah it almost sounds too good to be true haha I'm thinking if there's a catch or something to it.

Comment

Yeah it almost sounds too good to be true haha I'm thinking if there's a catch or something to it.
                      The catch is simple: E30 part prices have been going only up. Buy while you can.
                      But there are also newer ZF transmissions that can be used. That sets a price ceiling.

Wanganstyle was ostracized for saying that it would cost him more to buy parts for a proper rebuild than buy a rebuilt transmission from BMW.
                      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...spec-e30/page9

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

The catch is simple: E30 part prices have been going only up. Buy while you can.
                        But there are also newer ZF transmissions that can be used. That sets a price ceiling.

Wanganstyle was ostracized for saying that it would cost him more to buy parts for a proper rebuild than buy a rebuilt transmission from BMW.
                        https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...spec-e30/page9
                        Very interesting read. I agree with him prices on parts are increasing. I think my best bet is to at least have a repair shop open and inspect my trans and see if its worth getting parts for. If a couple parts are only needed, then I can save more buying the new parts and paying for labor. Otherwise, I'll buy a rebuild from BMW.

Also, buying a rebuild from BMW gives the sense of confidence that everything should be good whereas a repair shop inspection can miss something and I can see further issues arise in the future. Decisions... haha

Comment

new / refurbished bmw sports boxes are $5500
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            new / refurbished bmw sports boxes are $5500
                            May I ask where you got the $5500 quote? $5500 is $2500 more than what Metric Mechanic is charging and that's not including the $600 core exchange.

Comment

Very interesting read. I agree with him prices on parts are increasing. I think my best bet is to at least have a repair shop open and inspect my trans and see if its worth getting parts for. If a couple parts are only needed, then I can save more buying the new parts and paying for labor. Otherwise, I'll buy a rebuild from BMW.
                              It doesn't make sense.

If you have to take out gears to replace one synchronizer, you may as well replace all of them. And bearings too.

Comment

May I ask where you got the $5500 quote? $5500 is $2500 more than what Metric Mechanic is charging and that's not including the $600 core exchange.
                                schmeidmann's price including core. its different box afaik
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X