No announcement yet.

V8 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe I'm wasting my time replying here, BUT, how much do you know about those BMW F1 engines Jonsku?

You know how they were pretty much just grenade engines requiring tear-downs and complete rebuilds after only a few hours work? Or how they custom blended their own fuel (pretty much rocket fuel) to run them on? Or how they really only work in super-light (sub-700kg) cars?

Of course it's simple getting 1000hp out of a four-cylinder engine (for more than 5 dyno pulls/10 runs down the strip)! Whatever was I thinking... silly me.
    Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
      I can't believe I'm wasting my time replying here, BUT, how much do you know about those BMW F1 engines Jonsku?

You know how they were pretty much just grenade engines requiring tear-downs and complete rebuilds after only a few hours work? Or how they custom blended their own fuel (pretty much rocket fuel) to run them on? Or how they really only work in super-light (sub-700kg) cars?

Of course it's simple getting 1000hp out of a four-cylinder engine (for more than 5 dyno pulls/10 runs down the strip)! Whatever was I thinking... silly me.

Yes this starts to be completely waste of time.

I know they were very "grenade-like" engines. But don't you people understand that it was 20 years ago. There has been "some" advance in technology in the past 20 years.

Also, i'm talking about + 2litre M10's producing 1000hp, not 1,5 litres making 1500hp. The F1 engines made 1000hp / litre, that M10B20 makes "only" 500hp / litre (430hp / litre if stroked to 2.3 litres). That almost equals 1000hp M50B25 (400hp / litre), which do also exist..

Here's a picture of ~1000hp M10 with some S14 bits, yes it's a drag engine but quite durable one..

- E34 M5 (x 2) -
      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
      - E46 318i Touring -
      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

ladies, whenever your done arguing, can someone point me in the direction of a writeup/DIY on how to put an M62-B44 in a e30? please.

i did search, but maybe i'm just not good at it.
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        That's like Vlad challenging Chip Foose to a car painting contest.
        Originally posted by acolella76
        i'm pretty sure 'Phillis' is short for syphilis
        2007 CVPI, stock and slow
        1994 tercel, 5efhe swap, i/h/e
        1984 t-type, 5.3/th350 swap in progress

My newest addition:
        Rebecca Arlene, born 4/19/2013

Comment

My next swap will be a 306 sbf. I actually want a true 5.0L instead of the 4.9L 302

or maybe a 383 Then I can call my car magnum since it'll be a 5.7L "357"

Powered By Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
            Yes this starts to be completely waste of time.

I know they were very "grenade-like" engines. But don't you people understand that it was 20 years ago. There has been "some" advance in technology in the past 20 years.

Also, i'm talking about + 2litre M10's producing 1000hp, not 1,5 litres making 1500hp. The F1 engines made 1000hp / litre, that M10B20 makes "only" 500hp / litre (430hp / litre if stroked to 2.3 litres). That almost equals 1000hp M50B25 (400hp / litre), which do also exist..

Here's a picture of ~1000hp M10 with some S14 bits, yes it's a drag engine but quite durable one..

Dude, insults aside, you just haven't the slightest clue as to what the fuck you're talking about. Do us all a big favor and leave it at that.

When it comes to adding more than 80% of the power the N/A engine makes, it takes serious time and tuning and bottom line there is nothing easy/cheap about it. PERIOD.

What ever pos engine you have in your car (and by judging from your previous post it probably has an electric turbo or in dying need of a tune) go try to had more than tripple the power it puts out N/A. Then, come back and tell me how easy it was and how cheap it was to drive around and maintain for over a year.

I'll try to break down why theres no replacement for displacement.
            4-6 cylinder engines 10-25 years old need to be broken down completely, machined, and replaced with stronger and forged parts. All this to make it reliable an able to withstand the power for extended amounts of run time.
            head jobs and machine works will easily run your bill up and after parts and such you've been set back $2k+ minimum. not including forced induction parts and ecu's and all that other crap. Another $2k+ minimum to make bunches of reliable power.

...or, we could swap in a good pushrod 6.0 good for 410lb-ft of torque that would easily propel our E-30's reliably from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. best part is, all you have to do is change the oil every 3k miles and fill up with 87 octane gas. not to mention the "cheap" mods for it that will have that baby purring at 700hp.

Comment

Originally posted by mde36 View Post
              my next swap will be a 306 sbf. I actually want a true 5.0l instead of the 4.9l 302

or maybe a 383 then i can call my car magnum since it'll be a 5.7l "357"
              383= 6.3
              5.7=350

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by ieatpeople View Post
                ladies, whenever your done arguing, can someone point me in the direction of a writeup/DIY on how to put an M62-B44 in a e30? please.

i did search, but maybe i'm just not good at it.
                Here's one. And here're my E30 V8 project pics, they might help. Not the easiest swapt but surely doable.

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                Dude, insults aside, you just haven't the slightest clue as to what the fuck you're talking about. Do us all a big favor and leave it at that.

When it comes to adding more than 80% of the power the N/A engine makes, it takes serious time and tuning and bottom line there is nothing easy/cheap about it. PERIOD.

What ever pos engine you have in your car (and by judging from your previous post it probably has an electric turbo or in dying need of a tune) go try to had more than tripple the power it puts out N/A. Then, come back and tell me how easy it was and how cheap it was to drive around and maintain for over a year.
                Well well, did i say it was easy or cheap? All the time the argue has been about is it possible with 10-20k$, which i consider realistic building budget for a engine. With that you get reliable engine for 750hp with normal fuel, with E85 fuel 1000hp. And by reliable i mean that reliable that "hobby car" ever will be..

I've built this V8 cabrio all by myself, and been helping in couple of turbo projects so i do know what i'm talking about. I guess you're the one who hasn't even got the drivers licence yet..

I'll try to break down why theres no replacement for displacement.
                4-6 cylinder engines 10-25 years old need to be broken down completely, machined, and replaced with stronger and forged parts. All this to make it reliable an able to withstand the power for extended amounts of run time.
                head jobs and machine works will easily run your bill up and after parts and such you've been set back $2k+ minimum. not including forced induction parts and ecu's and all that other crap. Another $2k+ minimum to make bunches of reliable power.
                Yes, and did that come as a surprise to you? If you can read and think what you've read, you'd notice that i've been talking about budget around 10-20k$ all the time.

...or, we could swap in a good pushrod 6.0 good for 410lb-ft of torque that would easily propel our E-30's reliably from 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. best part is, all you have to do is change the oil every 3k miles and fill up with 87 octane gas. not to mention the "cheap" mods for it that will have that baby purring at 700hp.
                Yes you could, but do you really want to start the argue "european engine - american engine" - again?
                I admit they're cheaper and smaller engines, and have lots of tuning potential. That doesn't still make them good..

But anyways, are we done with this already? :D
                Last edited by Jonsku; 01-13-2010, 10:44 PM.
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

I'm going to go and slam my cock in a revolving door, it would be less painful than reading the back and forth in this thread.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                  RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Do we have any douchebag of the month nominees for January yet? I nominate the OP anyone care to second that?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Dear god i hope so...

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                      Do we have any douchebag of the month nominees for January yet? I nominate the OP anyone care to second that?
                      The OP didn't do anything but ask a question.

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Here's one. And here're my E30 V8 project pics, they might help. Not the easiest swapt but surely doable.

Well well, did i say it was easy or cheap? All the time the argue has been about is it possible with 10-20k$, which i consider realistic building budget for a engine. With that you get reliable engine for 750hp with normal fuel, with E85 fuel 1000hp. And by reliable i mean that reliable that "hobby car" ever will be..

I've built this V8 cabrio all by myself, and been helping in couple of turbo projects so i do know what i'm talking about. I guess you're the one who hasn't even got the drivers licence yet..

Yes, and did that come as a surprise to you? If you can read and think what you've read, you'd notice that i've been talking about budget around 10-20k$ all the time.

Yes you could, but do you really want to start the argue "european engine - american engine" - again?
                        I admit they're cheaper and smaller engines, and have lots of tuning potential. That doesn't still make them good..

hey, I saw that sekksie ass cabrio so I'm shutting the fuck up.8)

More info on the brake and steering setup pleeeeze!

Comment

Yes! At last we got this dealt with :D

312 / 294mm brake discs (300mm.de) with E34 540 calipers & booster / MC, standard steering with some modifications due to subframe dropping.
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

312 / 294mm brake discs (300mm.de) with E34 540 calipers & booster / MC, standard steering with some modifications due to subframe dropping.
                            It's nice to see somebody show some proof to back up what they're talking about.

But how did you get that booster to where it is? pics?

and pics of the steering setup

Comment

It's nice to see somebody show some proof to back up what they're talking about.

But how did you get that booster to where it is? pics?

and pics of the steering setup
                              You can find all the pics at the aforementioned project-pics site ;) And here're older, M30 swap pics.

Sorry for the OT
                              - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                              - E46 318i Touring -
                              - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Awww!
                                I ran out of popcorn anyways... lol.
                                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
                                X