V8 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
    Well well, even though you can't even type sarcastically without being a complete idiot, i just want to point out that there're plenty of turboed S38, S50, M50 and even M20 engines producing power in the 1000hp range. Just put "1000hp turbo BMW" in youtube, or make a quick search in PPF.
    I know there are 1000hp BMWs. I'm yet to see a 1000hp M20 that isn't a complete grenade engine, but we'll let that pass for a sec... I'll highlight the bit I took issue with in your previous post:

I'd like to point out here that turboing or supercharging straight 6 engine is much more easier than with those V-engines, 1000hp can be quite easily gained which should be more than enough to all other than drag-racing cars..

It is not "quite easy" to get 1000 reliable horsepower out of a BMW engine compared to an LSx engine. If you want 1000hp out of GM or BMW engines it is going to take a properly built bottom-end, thoroughly reworked head, huge fuel system (particularly on E85), all new exhaust plumbing and more. I've actually had a fair bit to do with "serious" horsepower builds down here and I can tell you that no engine will cop four-figure power levels without serious stress and a host of new parts - the LS will need less parts than a BMW engine of your choice.

I know there are far more genuine 1000hp LSx engines around than BMW engines, and quite a few are pushing over 1500 now (reliably). You aren't going to beat a well-prepped LSx with any of those BMW engines you've listed, unless it is running huge amounts of nitrous, race fuel (or methanol) and you don't care about longevity.

Its an academic debate though, because dyno comps are a massive wank and unless you've got a chassis set up for drag racing (incl. slicks) you will not be able to put the power down. Good for you if ruling the roost at dyno comps gets you wet, though.
    Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
      It is not "quite easy" to get 1000 reliable horsepower out of a BMW engine compared to an LSx engine. If you want 1000hp out of GM or BMW engines it is going to take a properly built bottom-end, thoroughly reworked head, huge fuel system (particularly on E85), all new exhaust plumbing and more.
      Yes of course you need to upgrade your whole car when aiming at such figures. Building a fuel system is easy, no big deal. There're many M10 based engines doing ~1000hp peak, and even 1.5 litre M10 based engine did ~1500hp constantly in time runs on F1's 20 years ago.
      What i'm trying to say, is that 1000hp isn't such a magical figure which can't be achieved "easily". Just bolt on correct parts and that's it. Of course it'll cost a lot but that wasn't the question..

My main point with the engines is, that physically there's so much more space in the engine room when using inline 6cyl engines than V-engines that your build will be much more simpler. And when retaining near stock engine room / chassis M50-variant turbo is the best choice. It's much more easier to change the pistons and connecting rods to an engine than it is to make good turbo manifolds to V-engine in 3-series BMW..

Sensible superchargers won't fit with v-engines.. (the small ones will but they're next to nothing).

Its an academic debate though, because dyno comps are a massive wank and unless you've got a chassis set up for drag racing (incl. slicks) you will not be able to put the power down. Good for you if ruling the roost at dyno comps gets you wet, though.
      Yes, but when your engine is good for 1000hp peak hp, you can run it "for ever" with 750hp..
      - E34 M5 (x 2) -
      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
      - E46 318i Touring -
      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Well well smartass, you could start by telling me which engine is in your truck and then i can tell you more about how bad it is.
        5.9l 6bt
        Well well smartass, you could start by telling me which engine is in your truck and then i can tell you more about how bad it is.
        Yea, that just proves you can't think and read at the same time.

Did it occur to you that there might be different cummins engines, as there're different BMW engines .. ?
        there are 2 options.
        Oh well, are you seriously comparing diesel and gasoline engines? Sorry but you need to take your head out of your ass and face the facts.

Here's a comparison i made of the engines. Please read it couple of times before posting..

(Both cars are yearmodel 2009, datas taken from manufacturers' websites);

Diesels:
        -BMW X5 35dA, 3 litres, 286hp / 580Nm, consumption (combined) 8,3 l/100km (28mpg)
        -Dodge ram 2500 with Cummins B6.7, 6,7 litres, 350hp / 880Nm, consumption (combined) 22mpg = 10,7 l/100km

BMW makes 95,3 hp / litre whereas dodge makes 52,2 hp / litre. Brake specific fuel consumption is 0,049 g / kWh for BMW and 0,06 g / kWh for Dodge, which is over 20% bigger than in BMW.

Gasoline:
        -BMW X5 4.8iS, 4,8 litres, 355hp, combined consumption 12,1 l/100km (19,4mpg)
        -Dodge ram with 5.7 hemi, 5,7 litres, 383hp, combined consumption 17,5mpg = 13,4 l/100km

BMW makes 74hp / l, dodge 67,2hp/l. BSFC for BMW is 0,051 whereas it's 0,06 for hemi engine (17,6% bigger).
        i'm working off of real world date first hand, not crap I dig up on-line.
        BMW V8's make great power, and BMW did a wonderful job of nursing every ounce of power out of it. While the pushrod V8's (like my wifes corvette LS1) have a ton of untapped power available.

So in order to compare gas-gas let run this comparison.

1998 convertible vette automatic 24.3 mpg
        2004 M62 4.4l X5 17 mpg
        same driver

I love BMW's but they aren't the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post

2004 M62 4.4l X5 17 mpg
          same driver
          Well well, BMW states that X5 consumption is 10,2 L /100km (23mpg) and Chevrolet states 14,7 L / 100km (16mpg) for corvette. Both official figures, measured using same standards, combined cycle.

So, either you're driving in very different conditions or you've mixed the consumption-datas..
          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
            5.9l 6bt

there are 2 options.

i'm working off of real world date first hand, not crap I dig up on-line.
            BMW V8's make great power, and BMW did a wonderful job of nursing every ounce of power out of it. While the pushrod V8's (like my wifes corvette LS1) have a ton of untapped power available.

2004 M62 4.4l X5 17 mpg
            same driver

I love BMW's but they aren't the best thing since sliced bread.
            Are you seriously comparing an x5 to corvette in fuel economy, the x5 weighs twice as much as the corvette and the corvette has a true over drive gear.

BTW
            This thread is fucking retarded.
            1985 BMW 325e
            1997 BMW M3/4/5
            2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

My eta gets better mpg!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                I know there are 1000hp BMWs. I'm yet to see a 1000hp M20 that isn't a complete grenade engine, but we'll let that pass for a sec... I'll highlight the bit I took issue with in your previous post:

It is not "quite easy" to get 1000 reliable horsepower out of a BMW engine compared to an LSx engine. If you want 1000hp out of GM or BMW engines it is going to take a properly built bottom-end, thoroughly reworked head, huge fuel system (particularly on E85), all new exhaust plumbing and more. I've actually had a fair bit to do with "serious" horsepower builds down here and I can tell you that no engine will cop four-figure power levels without serious stress and a host of new parts - the LS will need less parts than a BMW engine of your choice.

I know there are far more genuine 1000hp LSx engines around than BMW engines, and quite a few are pushing over 1500 now (reliably). You aren't going to beat a well-prepped LSx with any of those BMW engines you've listed, unless it is running huge amounts of nitrous, race fuel (or methanol) and you don't care about longevity.

2.4L that maxed out a 1000hp dyno :D No need for a v8

Comment

Originally posted by e30e View Post

BTW
                  This thread is fucking retarded.
                  +1.
                  I'm over it.
                  ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Well well, BMW states that X5 consumption is 10,2 L /100km (23mpg) and Chevrolet states 14,7 L / 100km (16mpg) for corvette. Both official figures, measured using same standards, combined cycle.

So, either you're driving in very different conditions or you've mixed the consumption-datas..
                    well what they claim and what is real life are 2 different things.

like i said, call 'em how you see 'em. I'm speaking from first hand experiance and you are quoting data you've picked up on the internet.

Comment

600hp 2.5L or a 600hp 5.7L
                      idk guys, which do you think will last longer (and be faster) ;)

1000hp 2.4L is a joke.
                      Pure drag motor you take apart every other race.

Comment

Hey guys regardless of what you want to put in your e30. it is your e30. I personally have a 91 318is with (gasp) an m62 converted to obd1 to make it more tuneable. Yes it is nose heavy (until you step on the gas) . but I just did this project for the fun of it .isn't that what it's all about anyway? :p

Comment

Originally posted by bimmernut2 View Post
                          Hey guys regardless of what you want to put in your e30. it is your e30. I personally have a 91 318is with (gasp) an m62 converted to obd1 to make it more tuneable. Yes it is nose heavy (until you step on the gas) . but I just did this project for the fun of it .isn't that what it's all about anyway? :p
                          Let's see some pictures!
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

OMG jonsku and suc-a-sac or whatever his name is, you both are completely ignorant dumb asses.
                            Both of you need a visit from the gay-grammar and spelling police.
                            You can't be a wise ass with multiple type-o's

I thought I would see some cool V8 ideas or what not but no. Jonsku decides he wan't to shine his bullshit BMW purity light over a thread that has nothing to do with wtf he's talking about.

Can I please see a good idea for a V8 swap?
                            and to all my lsx fans, what is a good small sized manual gearbox to match a gen-III 5.3? Like the iron bottomed aluminum headed ls1 out a 2001 chevy silverado or tahoe?

Comment

There're many M10 based engines doing ~1000hp peak, and even 1.5 litre M10 based engine did ~1500hp constantly in time runs on F1's 20 years ago.
                              What i'm trying to say, is that 1000hp isn't such a magical figure which can't be achieved "easily". Just bolt on correct parts and that's it. Of course it'll cost a lot but that wasn't the question..
                              omg what a fucking tard.

Do you really think that the millions of dollars it took combined with thousands of hours of research and tuning put into the m10 based F1 engines is "easy"?

Can we get an age limit blocker or something for certain forums? These teens are weird.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmernut2 View Post

That's true, having fun is the main thing. But still you can always argue which conversion is the better one, though one shouldn't take it too seriously :)

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                                OMG jonsku and suc-a-sac or whatever his name is, you both are completely ignorant dumb asses.
                                Both of you need a visit from the gay-grammar and spelling police.
                                You can't be a wise ass with multiple type-o's

I thought I would see some cool V8 ideas or what not but no. Jonsku decides he wan't to shine his bullshit BMW purity light over a thread that has nothing to do with wtf he's talking about.
                                Humm.. ok, thank you for that very informative comment which had very much to do with the things this topic is dealing with.

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                                omg what a fucking tard.

Do you really think that the millions of dollars it took combined with thousands of hours of research and tuning put into the m10 based F1 engines is "easy"?

Can we get an age limit blocker or something for certain forums? These teens are weird.
                                If you had any brains (which i doubt), you'd realize that those 1.5 litre M10's on F1 cars did 1000hp/l 20 years ago. Today you can get 1000hp from 2.3 litre M10 for something like 10k€ (=10 000 € which equals something like 15 000 $ in case you don't understand), which is something else than "thousands of hours and millions of dollars".

Just face the facts, idiot.
                                - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                                - E46 318i Touring -
                                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                                X