No announcement yet.

m60b40 missing, low idle, back firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your harness have the screw in O2 connector or the push together style?

Comment

Screw-together style
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Want another set of O2's to try? I have a pair of screw together style ones from the 740il I parted for my M60. I drove the car around for a couple hundred miles prior to taking it apart so I know they are good. PM me if you are interested. Just pay shipping that's all.

Comment

Definitely interested. I did a bit of welding somewhat close to mine, and have been wondering if that could have damaged them. PM coming. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            It really doesn't exhibit any symptoms of bad compression. Maybe I'm not doing a good job of describing the problem. With the o2 unplugged, it runs 100% perfect, except for a slightly jerky transition from on throttle to off throttle, and vice versa (at any RPM). If it wasn't for that jerkiness, I'd leave the o2's unplugged and say screw it. I did a 5th gear 1500 RPM pull, it makes awesome power even that low. It spins the 235's in 2nd gear and idles at exactly 500 RPM's, dead steady, all day. I could take a video, but a picture of the gauge with the needle sitting at 500 rpm's would be the same thing. It doesn't budge. I've left it idle for like an hour without a single blip or hiccup.

It only totally transforms to a shitty idle only when the o2 is plugged in. It has to be a mixture issue.

I'll test it for the hell of it, when I get a chance.
            Does it sound like it is idling low or could it be possible that there is just a coding issue between the ECU and your cluster?

What's weird is when I rebuilt my S50 I drove it around during break in with no O2 sensor and it ran just as well as it did with it plugged in but you could smell that it was running a little rich. Idle and throttle reaction was just the same with or without the O2 plugged in as well.

I should have asked this from the very beginning. How long do you have to crank it to start it up?

Comment

Well, I may finally be able to put this thread to rest.

I threw in Jean's ECU, plugged in the o2 sensors, and fired her up. I let it warm up, gave it a few revs, and it didn't shut off. Went for a drive, it didn't shut off.

I can't even describe the relief I feel right now. I was starting to go insane trying to figure this problem out. I'm actually glad it turned out to be a flaky, and somewhat un-testable part, as opposed to something stupid that I overlooked.

I'd like to put a few miles on it and let the ECU adapt, before I'm completely confident that the issue is gone.

But still...

I'M SO F'IN HAPPY!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice! Glad to hear it wasn't something you had any control over. Now get some sleep I'm sure you've been losing it over that damn thing.

Comment

Keep it for as long as you need it, no rush.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thank you Jean, greatly appreciated. I'll be in touch.

Went for a drive, I got it to shut off twice. It seems to be more tempted to shut off if while I'm decelerating to a stop, I don't put in the clutch until the RPM's are below 1500 or so. Almost like it's loading up with fuel as the RPM's are that low under deceleration load.

If I throw in the clutch above 1500 while decelerating to a stop, it will drop to idle, stay there, and coast to a stop no problem at all.

It was only a 10 minute drive though. I'm heading to the Bimmerzone meet today, 45 minutes away, so I'll be able to report back with better info hopefully.

Comment

Have you had it diagnosed with a proper BMW scanner?

Comment

Nope, don't have access to one.

Drove about 2 hours today. Got 100% repeatable results. While driving, if I coasted to a stop in any gear, letting the car engine brake, and the RPM's got below 1500 or so before I push in the clutch, it would then shut off. If I threw in the clutch before it got down below 1500, it would return to idle like normal.

Definitely a fuel injection/ignition issue. Sticking injector maybe?

I also have an o2 sensor code, just the passenger side though.

My new CCV just showed up, so I'll try swapping that.

Edit: Forgot to add, the backfiring is also consistent now. Any time I'm cruising along, and leave off the gas for a few seconds, then get back on the gas, it gives a fairly loud pop/backfire through the exhaust, it sounds more like a loud crack. Just one. I have no idea what would cause that... but I'm pretty sure it's made more noticeable by the exhaust leaks right after the headers, that's where I hear it the most, right under me. But the people who were in front and behind me on the way to the car meet said they could hear it occasionally as well.
                        Last edited by JGood; 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Swapped out the CCV, no change. So vacuum leaks can be 100% ruled out, I've replaced every single gasket and part on the entire intake system, and smoke tested it as well, there is not a single leak.

I ordered a set of rebuilt Bosch design III 19lb injectors. Maybe I have a leaking injector(s). If not, it's still a worthwhile upgrade for the spray pattern.

If that doesn't cure it, I'm going to find a known good ICV and try that. Maybe the two I have are shot.

This sucks!

Comment

You check your wire harness for possible shorts to the ICV?

Know anyone with a GT1 that can look at all the sensor read outs?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                              You check your wire harness for possible shorts to the ICV?

Know anyone with a GT1 that can look at all the sensor read outs?
                              That's one thing I do need to do, verify all of these parts that I've been testing, at the DME end of the harness.

And no I don't know anyone with a GT1. I didn't even know anyone with the Peake scanner, so I had to buy that.

Comment

Is the engine totally stock? Was it running right before the swap?

DME chip from auto- or manual transmission car?

Compression tester costs something like $10, so why not check it just to be sure?

Reading, or even just clearing the fault codes would help you forward ..

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                                Edit: Forgot to add, the backfiring is also consistent now. Any time I'm cruising along, and leave off the gas for a few seconds, then get back on the gas, it gives a fairly loud pop/backfire through the exhaust, it sounds more like a loud crack. Just one. I have no idea what would cause that... but I'm pretty sure it's made more noticeable by the exhaust leaks right after the headers, that's where I hear it the most, right under me. But the people who were in front and behind me on the way to the car meet said they could hear it occasionally as well.

Some backfiring is normal, don't know why but almost all the swapped V8's like to run a bit rich and pop the exhaust.
                                Of course proper mapping on dyno/road fixes that..
                                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                                - E46 318i Touring -
                                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                                X