No announcement yet.

M62B44 Swap into 1971 E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're probably right, the flange type BMW's use allows a bit of movement. Definitely going to use the v-band clamps.

On the E38, they have that big "Y" shaped resonator in the middle of the car, it potentially lowers the tone?

Comment

Looked around and got these.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-...resonator.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...tor-vs-muffler

Seems you kinda have to play with it to get it just right. I for one love a loud, raspy exhaust, but for my M60, I want it to sound like a Morgan Aero 8, so I think I want to run both banks independent all the way back. Sure, not that great for power, but it sounds so good.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I think it's muffler design that makes a big difference. Magnaflow mufflers have a straight through design with deadening material and seem to be more quiet. Flowmaster seems to be the other common muffler type that's hollow inside, but has baffles. It seems raspy-er than the magnaflow based on youtube clips.

Magnaflow

Flowmaster
        Almost stock BMW 540i with single chamber flowmaster, has highflow cats and M5 "Headers" along with the stock resonator. at it's quiet at idle but sounds gre...

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          I for one love a loud, raspy exhaust, but for my M60, I want it to sound like a Morgan Aero 8, so I think I want to run both banks independent all the way back. Sure, not that great for power, but it sounds so good.
          My first exhaust system was separate pipes the whole way back, before I added the X-pipe recently. It was raspier and had a lot more popping and crackling, the X-pipe got rid of some of that and gave it more of a deeper rumble. So you may be going in the opposite direction there...

I think the later Aero 8's came with the Alpina designed 4.8 n62's, which were closer to s62's then m60's, so you probably won't achieve quite the same sound.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Hi all,
            Still working on the swap, no fresh pictures, just finishing lots of little stuff.

I'm trying to figure out my fuel supply and I'm wondering who has done the swap with a non-vanos M62? The fuel pressure regulator is my issue, what have you done for this?

In the original E39 of this year, there is a separate unit called the "3/2 directional control valve" that houses the pressure regulator I'd rather not add this to the system if possible... Does anyone have experience with the ebay regulators? Or is there a 3 bar BMW regulator that is self contained?

Comment

Sub'd
              This is a Sic' project, but men you need to post more pictures... We would really like to see it all....!
              https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

E9 with BMW V8

Ask these guys?

Just kidding. Nice work, good luck with your project.

sigpic
                Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Update

Here is how it currently sits, the booster is just sitting there.

I've been updating this thread mostly. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...p/61748/page1/

Comment

Update

Was able to spend a few days getting stuff done on the car.

Finished off the exhaust

Finally got around to the transmission tunnel, which was one of the few jobs that I actually estimated time correctly.

From the drivers side;

The finished and primed enclosure. The top piece ended up a bit of a mess with my rudimentary metal working skills trying to cover the shift linkage which was higher than I originally planned.

I also finished the new seat mounts. I previously added seats from an E46, but it was a hack-job and the seats needed to be lower. I completely cutout the original mounts and built sturdy platforms for the seats to sit on.

Finished and primed;

That nearly finishes all the fabrication needed for this project. I just need to replace all the gaskets in the motor, run brake lines and wiring, and get it back together.

Comment

Wow, it's been a while since updating this. I've got everything buttoned up and the car is now mobile. Made my first trip around the block yesterday. Still a lot of tuning left to do on the megasquirt, but it idles great and runs fairly well.

Idle video

Comment

Working...
                      X