No announcement yet.

E30 with mustang 5.0 engine, HANDLING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A carbed aluminum headed 302 weighs less than the m60. All those cams are heavy!
    sigpic

Comment

M60 is 463..http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=233682
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.j View Post
        A carbed aluminum headed 302 weighs less than the m60.
        really? what supposed weight is the 302 with aluminum heads? I have a hard time believing it's under 460#

Comment

Mine weighed right at 410 with aluminum flywheel and heads. Don't take my word for it thoug..http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=2...ev_next%3Dprev

A 302/t5 combo is much lighter than even an Lsx t-56
          sigpic

Comment

Hell a similarly dressed ls1 is within a couple pounds of an iron headed 302. I weighed a dressed ls1 at 459. Do some research. The info is out there
            sigpic

Comment

It also depends what year block you use. The later 5.0 blocks are lighter but weaker. Also I use only an alternator my engines so keep that in mind
              sigpic

Comment

Ls1 t56 is like 630 lbs

Another 302 weight report.
                sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure those weights from sbftech are sans transmission, while that scaled LS1 from that honda site included the tranny weight. What's a t5 weigh, 100#?

So basically, in the end the weight distribution hasn't been hurt too bad and you've picked up maybe 20 pounds on top of the stock weight. Definitely liking this, too bad noone else will believe it.

Comment

T5 is 75 lbs. I shipped one and it was 81 with packaging. Also you can do neat stuff like make the rotating assembly lighter.
                    sigpic

Comment

The key is to use aluminum heads and aluminum flywheel. Almost any aluminum 302 ford head will pick up 35-40hp as an added bonus. Even more for the good heads.

Get on hybridZ.org those guys have discussed and weighed engines to death
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron.j View Post
                        A carbed aluminum headed 302 weighs less than the m60. All those cams are heavy!
                        Jean weighed his m62tu at 450. That was including everything from the clutch to the engine mount arms. An m60 with a LW flywheel, weighed in the same way as those 430-450lb 302's, is likely right around 400, maybe under.

My car with the m60 weighs less than what it did with the m50. Even with the dual 2.5" exhaust, remote oil filter, huge radiator, etc...
                        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                        e30 restoration and V8 swap
                        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Mine at 410 was carb to oil pan including headers and flywheel. No clutch but full of oil and alternator and water pump. It's likely they are very close to each other. Too many variables away from stock.

I think the moral of the story is 8>6
                          sigpic

Comment

More could be removed with carbon valve cover, 800$ clutch/flywheel assemblies and mini alternator/electric water pump and mini starter but now we're just getting out of control.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X