No announcement yet.

How fast is your V8 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand what you're saying. We are just taking different approaches. When I hear 260hp and e30, my mind immediately jumps to the assumption that it can be a 12 second car based upon all of the supporting mods than can be done to get it there. If you stuff an m60 in an e30, will it run 12s? Probably not. But it wouldn't be hard to get it there, and if you're willing to go through the pain of swapping motors then I am assuming you are willing to do required support to get it there. I guess I just look at builds an assume that they are the best they can be. I guess its dumb optimism, but who stuffs a v8 in an e30 and is fine with it performing like shit?

Comment

Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
      I may have missed this but what trans is being used with the M60 swap?

On my LS M3 Im running a 3.91 diff but that is with the t56. The stock 3.15 didnt feel right especially with the double overdrive gears in the t56
      Zf310. Same ratios as the stock e36 m3, just with a v8 bellhousing. It's a 1:1 5th. The 420g 6 speed that the 540i, m5, and e46 m3 uses has the same ratios for 1-5, with the addition of a .81 overdrive. A lot of people run that with a 3.25 rear.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by CLM21 View Post
        Its probably the gearing. A 2.93 doesnt seem necessary for an m60. But thats just me.
        With a 4.20 first gear in the ZF, you don't need much gear out back to pull in 1st. More rear gear would only help if you launch in 2nd gear at the dragstrip.

Originally posted by CLM21 View Post
        I didnt have any mean incentives with that post! I just meant purely from a 1/4 mile standpoint, which first of all isnt the main focus of most e30s, there are probably better options and the 2.93 is probably the only reason why the above mentioned fiero was faster. I can 100% understand the choice if you daily drive the car on the highway. I would absolutely go for the smallest ratio i could get away with if I was driving 80 highway miles a day.
        My Fiero has a 3.50 first and 3.61 final (in a Getrag 282 transaxle), so it has the same overall first as a ZF with 3.01 gears... The 2.93 is not much of a handicap.

For the record, I'll be swapping over to a 3.94 final, but it will most likely *LOSE* performance in 1st gear, as I'll be getting to the point at which it will just spin (street tires) in 1st. It's almost there now, as it won't hook up in 1st on anything but a warm day on clean dry pavement, and then only if I'm going straight when I floor the pedal.

Also, shifting gears early in the run really hurts ET.

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
        I'm not arguing that. I know some very quick e30s........goodntight broke 10s with a turbo m30. What I'm saying is this:

"260hp should be an easy 12 second car"
        Whether it's 12's or not depends on some things, but it *IS* pretty straightforward to say that a car with XXX HP and YYYY weight should run ZZZ trap speed.

Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
        I may have missed this but what trans is being used with the M60 swap?

On my LS M3 Im running a 3.91 diff but that is with the t56. The stock 3.15 didnt feel right especially with the double overdrive gears in the t56
        I'm setting up a T56 with my S62 for my swap... have 3.64 gears for it.
        Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-27-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Years ago, some local guy was running an ls1 motor with a 2 speed powerglide. 100 shot of nitrous and msd ignition in an 87 325is. fully stripped and caged with a custom rear suspension. 10" wide slicks. I remember him doing low 10's in a 1/4 mile.
          Originally posted by TimKninja
          Racelands are cheap shit.
          Originally posted by whodwho
          So are r3v members
          Originally posted by Cabriolet
          dude, this is R3v. there's like 40 project threads, and like 20 FS threads and 100 members ride threads of stupid shit. guaranteed laughs on every page. cut springs, rolled cars at 20mph, fishtank heater core, selling broken stuff, painting cars with paint brush, cheap wings, hella-flush and then there is Vlad, king of the eta M3

Comment

Working...
          X