M60b44 rebuild and slow project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60b44 rebuild and slow project

I decided to start taking my engine apart and rebuild it since i had a couple of issues with it. The bottom end is from a 1999 m62b44tu and the heads are from a 1995 m60b40

I started to tear apart the engine and cleaning it up

Everything cleaned really nicely with a bunch of wire wheels and brushes along with simple green :pimp:
    Last edited by robiniscool; 02-10-2014, 03:13 AM.

my piston rings came in so i decided to start with the rebuild on the internals i wanted to go with oem but with $100+ a pop i think im find with these @ $27 each hopefully they hold well i guess ill have to drive the crap out of it to find out later....

On the left is the after and the right is before notice less carbon :D

after reading quit few forums i guess its safe to just use scotchbrite and oil instead of deglazing the cylinder walls like i usually do... and also checked each ring with a feeler gage and a file making sure the ring gaps are within tolerance super long process but ill live also saved $10 by renting the one time use piston ring compressor this is where i got the piston ring gaps in case anyone was wondering
    http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/5_se...pins_m62_b_44/

Only got two pistons done cause i have to wait for the other 6 rings that should be coming this week :hitler:
    Last edited by robiniscool; 02-10-2014, 03:32 AM.

Comment

This should be interested. Subd

Comment

I got back the heads from a machine shop and since im cheap i only paid for resurfacing and hot tank i ended up replacing the stem seals myself and lapping all the valve myself :up:

I cut up a small copper tube to make the generic valve spring compressor tool to work with bmw type heads

and here is the finished product with new valve stem seals, lapping grind valves and new resurfaced head

and if you dont know what i mean by lapping valves...
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXsH12Rg6s

Comment

So a scotch bright pad and oil is safe to use on these cylinder walls? Then just drop in the pistons with new rings, gapped properly? I didn't know it was possible to put in new rings without a freshly cut bore with that silicon honing process that is way over my head haha.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            So a scotch bright pad and oil is safe to use on these cylinder walls? Then just drop in the pistons with new rings, gapped properly? I didn't know it was possible to put in new rings without a freshly cut bore with that silicon honing process that is way over my head haha.
            usually i just deglaze the clyinder walls then put them in but deglazing is not good for these ausil engines but make sure you oil it during install and just crank it a couple of times so the new rings can cut into the walls

Comment

finally got around to o-ringing my block

Decided to go with figure 8 style for my block since i was limited on room between cylinders

Comment

Why are you oringing the block? Boost?
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yes, what's the purpose of o-ringing a block? I honestly have no idea :shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    Yes, what's the purpose of o-ringing a block? I honestly have no idea :shrug:
                    I had the tool for a m20 i was o-ringing for turbo but since I had access to it i thought might as well use it ;D

Comment

not much of an update but i decided to clean up the covers a little today

Left is the after and right is before

Both of them after

I didn't want to paint them since it'll flake off anyways so i just decided wire brush, 1000 grit sand paper scotch brite and mother's bullet metal polish. The results came out good enough for me so ill just leave it like that
                      Last edited by robiniscool; 04-08-2014, 02:42 AM.

Comment

What are you thinking what will be compression ratio and the difference between b44 and b44tu pistons with b40 head,?

Comment

Very interested in this, as I'm about to start building an m62tub44 motor with m60 heads. Have you a rough idea on compression ratio etc? Have you got any further with it?
                          Cheers Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Padi View Post
                            Very interested in this, as I'm about to start building an m62tub44 motor with m60 heads. Have you a rough idea on compression ratio etc? Have you got any further with it?
                            Cheers Chris.
                            Make sure you plug the oil pressure passage in the front of the block where the m62 u-shaped guide went, other then that it's 100% bolt on. I've got 4,000 miles on mine. I calculated 10.9:1 compression, but that was based off of factory numbers, not CC measurements.
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Sub'd
                              Denny

Blogs:
                              http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                              http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                              http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Working...
                              X