M60 exhaust choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 exhaust choices

Finally finishing up my M60 swap and I realize the flowmaster is just not suited for the V8. I'm currently running straight pipes to the flowmaster in one inlet. I would like to get as close as possible to the tone of the v8 5 series they originally belong to. What are you guys using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    323i MTEC1
    Z3 coupe
    E60 M5

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
    Finally finishing up my M60 swap and I realize the flowmaster is just not suited for the V8. I'm currently running straight pipes to the flowmaster in one inlet. I would like to get as close as possible to the tone of the v8 5 series they originally belong to. What are you guys using.

I just used a dual 2.5" in / dual 2.5" out Maganflow straight-through muffler. They have a few different lengths to chose from. I just used dual 2.5" pipes from the manifolds back to that muffler, and that's it.

So you're combining your dual exhaust into a single in/out muffler? What size is it? Factory piping is dual 2.25", so you'd need at least 3-1/4" or 3-1/2" if you want to flow as well as stock, with a single pipe. But I'd just ditch that and go true duals with a Magnaflow. If it's just a stock m60, dual 2.25" is probably fine.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I'm running 2.25 dual to a Y pipe at the middle then single 2.25 to the muffler. I don't have any plans for the engine except the 4.0 intake swap and then see if I can get the forum member here that can tune the dme for a little better response. I'm running the M60b30 motor. Future plans is the 4.6 but that's another story.

Are you running silencers or Cats ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      323i MTEC1
      Z3 coupe
      E60 M5

Comment

A single 2.25" for an m60b30 is still probably choking the engine. I'd do what I recommended above.

No, I have nothing but the muffler.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          ... I have nothing but the muffler.

Sound clip?

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
            Sound clip?
            I don't have any videos that make it sound like it does in real life. There's plenty on youtube though, a lot of 540i guys do straight pipes to a Magnaflow straight-through muffler, it's a common setup.

Comment

That's what I was trying to confirm if it was common for a straight pipe to the muffler. I see there's a bunch of different size magnaflow. I'm going to assume there no difference in them except the size, so I'm going to measure and see which one fits best.

Thanks,

sigpic
              323i MTEC1
              Z3 coupe
              E60 M5

Comment

I used the same set-up. dual 2.5" pipes to a magnaflow 2-in-2-out. It sounds great but has some drone from 2-3K rpms. I do plan to add two short resonators to hopefully quiet this down.

Comment

Yeah- that's my concern. I don't need for it to be too loud. I can hear the engine enough already with x5 headers.

sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

M60 exhaust choices

I believe Frank car is the only I've heard that is quite and has a nice V8 tone.

sigpic
                    323i MTEC1
                    Z3 coupe
                    E60 M5

Comment

I had dual 2.25 going to a dual in dual out resonator then to a Brullen muffler on my old car. It had a great European tone to it in my opinion, just enough raspiness (if that's a word). It was still pretty loud though.

Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

Take off was priceless. 😎

sigpic
                        323i MTEC1
                        Z3 coupe
                        E60 M5

Comment

Working...
                        X