No announcement yet.

regular old m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few days ago i was able to get some time on the car, took my multimeter to all my coils (all tested between .4 and .8 ohms), checked all my spark plugs (good even wear), checked fuel pressure (low fuel pressure). My fuel pump was a cheap replacement that i installed ~7 years ago, so i went ahead and installed a new one along with a new filter. Haven't tested pressure since, but i no longer have the intermittent dying issue, and my car seems to pull like never before. That being said my car still misses 4500 and up, and still has the 5kish rev limit. no cel.

Comment

What chip is currently in it? With the stock chip, if the DME doesn't recieve a VSS, it will engage the top speed governor at 5200rpm.

I'm doubting that's the issue since you noted a 4500rpm miss, but just something to keep in mind.

I'd get the fuel pressure tester back on there.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
        What chip is currently in it? With the stock chip, if the DME doesn't recieve a VSS, it will engage the top speed governor at 5200rpm.

I'm doubting that's the issue since you noted a 4500rpm miss, but just something to keep in mind.

I'd get the fuel pressure tester back on there.
        markd, wouldn't purchase from him again.

I'll hopefully be able to knock out some more tests here soon.

Comment

Fuel pressure at idle is 42 psi and climbs up towards 50 at wot. In the video I hung at 3/4 throttle for a second before going wot, hence the way the rev limit changed a little bit. . http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e77b975...322_141344.mp4 Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Last edited by dothadance; 03-22-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Poking around my engine bay a few days ago I found the vacuum hose from my fpr was cracked. Replaced with another piece of vacuum hose to no avail. I've even swapped out a spare maf and stock 404 ecu I had laying around. Nada. It's gotta be electrical. Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Comment

redownloaded the e34 bentley. idk why i've been attacking this so stupidly. troubleshooting like an intellectual tomorrow.

Comment

A lot of tinkering these past couple weeks. Checked resistance of: IAT, CMP, TPS, coolant temp sensor, all within spec. Checked again, all eight coil packs have equal resistance. Cleaned the ICV, removed the wedge on the throttle plate, replaced a vacuum cap on the throttle body, and installed a new fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose. Tested the resistance on the crankshaft sensor, 396 ohms...... everything that i've been seeing says it's SUPPOSED to be 560ish. I've only ever seen that ckp's are either good or bad, but when a ckp is bad the car wont run... But the resistance is weird and that would kind of explain the weird stuff i've been experiencing, so a new one is on the way.

AAAANNNDD

I installed a 3.25 LSD that i swapped from my roommates e28!! This thing is so fresh, absolutely zero slop! Such a good deal.

Comment

if this doesn't fix it, idk wtf i'm gonna do. it would either be in the harness or mechanical, as every sensor will now be within spec.

Comment

crankshaft sensor fixed it... lol. kinda spooked me actually when i went for a drive and revved her up, didn't expect it to actually work. Sh'es driving better than ever now!

Comment

Working...
                    X