X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iflytii View Post

Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
    Check us out
    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Also, FWIW - I checked with Speedmaster and they said their pan has four baffles and is suitable for road race applications.
      Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
      1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
      Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

iirc speedmaster is the new name procomp is going by, or something like that. they were quite infamous with their aluminum heads - they'd be about half the price of a set of AFRs or trick flows, but the amount of machining required to make them usable either offset the price difference or you ended up spending more than if you had just bought the nicer heads in the first place

i don't know if i'd trust the same company with the literal lifeblood of a LS1, especially considering how finicky LS oiling can be. please go with the garagistic or canton pan, $200 more is alot cheaper than $2k for a new block

Comment

I wanted to do a quick update.
          I attached some pictures of the Speedmaster pan with the dimensions on it, just in case anyone was curious about their pans.

In the long run, I decided to go with the Canton Pan CTR-15-276 with GM Performance pickup NAL-12572654. When I get the pan I will take some measurements and post those dimensions too.

Next obstacles: headers, brakes, fuel lines, WIRING , motor and trans mounts.
          Attached Files

Check us out
          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

for the motor mounts, how about a motor plate instead?

i'm currently trying to figure out why more people don't use these for e30 v8 swaps. as far as i can tell you could actually use off-the-shelf cheapo block huggers with plenty of clearance due to the lack of motor mounts getting in the way

Comment

That's a damn good idea. I'll have to do a little research on those. Which plates are those?

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              for the motor mounts, how about a motor plate instead?

i'm currently trying to figure out why more people don't use these for e30 v8 swaps. as far as i can tell you could actually use off-the-shelf cheapo block huggers with plenty of clearance due to the lack of motor mounts getting in the way

Check us out
              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

generic picture on google. IIRC the one piece dealies are motor plates, the two piece versions are called elephant ears, though that might be the "street" name

Comment

Use solid mounts like those and the ride would vibrate more than a Hardly Ableson.
                  E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                  email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                  E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                  E30LS1@gmail.com
                  e30ls1.com

Comment

you can still soft mount motor plates if i'm not mistaken - just eliminates alot of the benefits drag racers install em for

Comment

any using the Sikky pan? just curious on depth. Ive got Garret's swap kit and was going to use a GTO pan but they're hard to find.

I had a moroso pan on a Honda years and year ago and the drain plug stripped on the first oil change, so I'm weary of similar pan designs now

Comment

though that might be the "street" name

you can still soft mount motor plates if i'm not mistaken - just eliminates alot of the benefits drag racers install em for
                        I really like the idea of using solid plates just to free up room for headers. Once i get to the stage of mocking up the motor in the car i'll figure something out. Right now, 2x4's will be motor mounts of choice.

Originally posted by TurboSam View Post
                        any using the Sikky pan? just curious on depth. Ive got Garret's swap kit and was going to use a GTO pan but they're hard to find.
                        I looked for a GTO pan for a while and the ones i found were almost as much as buying a new one. $3-$400. Plus I would then have to have it modified at a machine shop and trust they did it right. Summit has pretty good deals on the Canton pans so that's why i decided to go with it. According to tracking it should be here today.

Check us out
                        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Check us out
                          Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

came across a deal on a GTO pan but luck bascially on a facebook group. brand new takeoff from a crate engine. I think it will fit without modifying it if I take the rack out so I can mock everything up before I make my final decision on it. I'm probably a year out or more til my full restomod is complete.

Comment

You will need to modify the GTO oil pan to clear the rack.
                              E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                              email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                              E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                              E30LS1@gmail.com
                              e30ls1.com

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                                You will need to modify the GTO oil pan to clear the rack.
                                yes, I know that, but my rack is out while I do other things.

Comment

Working...
                                X