who makes bmws head gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who makes bmws head gaskets?

Specifically for the m62.. I believe it is goetze but im not positive. Was looking for head gaskets for my m62 and the genuine bmw ones are about 112$ each.
    I noticed the goetze, erling and victor reinze ones are considerably cheaper. I just dont want to put junk into my engine but also dont want to spend 250$ on gaskets.
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

stay away from victor reinz, nothing but junk, at least on m20s

Comment

I can only speak for the M60 engine, but I had a friend (Long time BMW mechanic) mention as well that they see nothing but problems with Victor Reinz Head Gaskets. For this reason I opted for the Elring gaskets. He confirmed that he has not seen troubles with those ones.
      Originally posted by 36brua
      Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
      Patryk:up:
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I have heard the same about victor reins head gaskets, but i found something interesting. on ecs tuning the oem bmw gaskets and the victor reins gaskets share the same part numbers.

as the goetze gaskets and erling ones are different? a friend of mine tried to tell me victor reins probably makes the oem bmw gaskets but i have a hard time believing that..

Comment

If you are looking for part numbers, I would check realoem.com. I know you can get head gaskets which are slightly thicker for use with decked/machined heads. Those will obviously be different part numbers, which may be whats coming up for the goetze and elring.
          Originally posted by 36brua
          Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
          Patryk:up:
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
            If you are looking for part numbers, I would check realoem.com. I know you can get head gaskets which are slightly thicker for use with decked/machined heads. Those will obviously be different part numbers, which may be whats coming up for the goetze and elring.
            I actually saw the thicker gaskets and that brings up another question. I had my heads resurfaced and they had to remove 6 mm, do you think I need the thicker gaskets?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Comment

6mm? is there any deck surface left? Maybe .6mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Coupelx View Post
                6mm? is there any deck surface left? Maybe .6mm?
                sorry six thousandths.. lol

Comment

I used Victor Reinz on my last 2 head gasket jobs.

They both leak oil in the same exact spot, near cylinder 1 on the passenger side. :-(
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    I used Victor Reinz on my last 2 head gasket jobs.

They both leak oil in the same exact spot, near cylinder 1 on the passenger side. :-(
                    m20 or m6x?

Comment

VR makes parts for BMW, that are sold from dealerships as OEM parts. They also make parts sold as 'aftermarket'. Obviously the OEM parts have to be held to a much higher standard. So even though you could potentially order a head gasket from BMW that is made by VR (which would likely be a very high quality part), it may not be the same one you would purchase from FCP, ECS, etc... under the VR name. I'm not sure who makes the OEM BMW m6x head gaskets though, might not be VR either.

That said, I used VR aftermarket head gaskets on my m60b44, no issues so far. I have also heard bad things about their aftermarket head gaskets, and I have direct experience with some of their other parts that ended up being pretty low quality and poor fitment. I used their head bolts for my m60, 2 of them showed up looking like they went through the threading machine sideways. They were bent to hell and chewed up, no threads at all. Clearly there was no QC there...
                      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                      e30 restoration and V8 swap
                      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        VR makes parts for BMW, that are sold from dealerships as OEM parts. They also make parts sold as 'aftermarket'. Obviously the OEM parts have to be held to a much higher standard. So even though you could potentially order a head gasket from BMW that is made by VR (which would likely be a very high quality part), it may not be the same one you would purchase from FCP, ECS, etc... under the VR name. I'm not sure who makes the OEM BMW m6x head gaskets though, might not be VR either.

That said, I used VR aftermarket head gaskets on my m60b44, no issues so far. I have also heard bad things about their aftermarket head gaskets, and I have direct experience with some of their other parts that ended up being pretty low quality and poor fitment. I used their head bolts for my m60, 2 of them showed up looking like they went through the threading machine sideways. They were bent to hell and chewed up, no threads at all. Clearly there was no QC there...
                        So you used Victor reins head gaskets for your m60 and they did not leak? How many miles on the setup? The main reason for asking is I have only heard bad things about vr.

The parts guys at my dealer told me the same thing, that vr makes oem gaskets. Just trying to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                          So you used Victor reins head gaskets for your m60 and they did not leak? How many miles on the setup? The main reason for asking is I have only heard bad things about vr.

The parts guys at my dealer told me the same thing, that vr makes oem gaskets. Just trying to clarify.

Yep. I have about 15k on over the past 1.5 years.

VR does make some OEM head gaskets, as do other manufacturers. Might not even be the same for say, m60b40 vs m62b44. Maybe VR makes one and Elring makes the other. Sometimes it'll be printed on the gasket and you can know for sure, but it won't come in VR packaging.

Going OEM is definitely the best route, especially for something like a head gasket. But the price is quite a bit higher... I opted to give the aftermarket VR a chance and so far, so good.
                          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                          e30 restoration and V8 swap
                          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I second JGood, about 4k on my m60b44 with VR m62 HG, no issues so far

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not m62 specific, but i will never install another vr headgasket as long as I live.

Source: many years working on m/s5x powered club racing cars. The VR gaskets enjoyed fire ring failures between the cylinder walls. Heads weren't warped, didn't matter if it was a freshly built motor or a junkyard refresh. Replaced with elring, never happened again.

Comment

Working...
                              X