LS3 Swap (In Progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
    I'm going with the katech tensioner. Not sure if it will give you clearance but I'm running my intake to the drivers side. I'm also doing a remote power steering reservoir on the drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that a Mishi radiator made for an E30? My Z3M radiator has the hose in the way so I can't route the intake that way. And plus the ABS pump, I don't really want to get rid of it. But thanks for the pics! I'll probably have to go with MTI's tensioner because it has more travel.

Comment

Small update. We got all the materials to build the exhaust and the intake. With the exhaust we just need someone to come out and TIG it all together, but for the intake we've had to make a lot of room. We pulled the rad as close to the front as possible, shaved down the throttle body motor a bit, bent parts of the radiator, and we have to get a new tensioner. Possibly the MTI racing one.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4612.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	7188650

Name:	IMG_4613.JPG
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	7188651
      Wiring has also been started. Just prepping until we get a fuse box that has been ordered. Shouldn't be too difficult. The hardest part seems to be making it look pretty.

Name:	IMG_4614.JPG
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	7188649
      Hopefully we can get a guy to weld the exhaust this week, finish wiring, get the custom driveshaft, then tune. Not to far away from being back on the road! The final steps are very exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by beggs View Post
        Is that a Mishi radiator made for an E30? My Z3M radiator has the hose in the way so I can't route the intake that way. And plus the ABS pump, I don't really want to get rid of it. But thanks for the pics! I'll probably have to go with MTI's tensioner because it has more travel.

It's for a r32 skyline. I went with it because the water outlets are both on the passenger side. It does require making some brackets for the bottom but nothing too bad. I definitely ditched the abs pump with my booster delete. Great progress though. Looking forward to seeing it hit the road!

Comment

It's for a r32 skyline. I went with it because the water outlets are both on the passenger side. It does require making some brackets for the bottom but nothing too bad. I definitely ditched the abs pump with my booster delete. Great progress though. Looking forward to seeing it hit the road!

Oh, I almost went with that radiator, pretty common for LS swaps.

Big update! Started wiring, it's not too difficult I find the hardest part to be making everything look pretty. I don't want this to be one of those very sloppy swaps with wiring everywhere.
          Starting wiring. We went with a fuse box to organize things.

Name:	IMG_4635.JPG
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7188747
          This is after around 6 hours of figuring things out, routing, soldering, then taping them all together. The fuse box will be going in the battery tray.

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	7188749
          Another shot of the fuse box.

Name:	IMG_4644.JPG
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	7188748
          Close to being done with all of the wiring. Have just a few mire wires to route and solder. Going to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up various things for the clutch and accelerator pedal. And we are also getting a tensioner to build ourselves, probably easier that way rather than spend 150 on a aftermarket one. Ordering the driveshaft Monday.

Small problem, both balljoints were ripped and needed to be replaced. quick fix and was only 26 bucks.

Name:	IMG_4628.JPG
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	7188750

Comment

More parts! Got the driveshaft, and paired it with the 1350 flange.

Name:	IMG_4654.JPG
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	7188794
            Tensioners almost done, just need a brace then we are good! Got a new belt that fits as well.

Name:	IMG_4649.JPG
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7188792
            And since we got the tensioner problem fixed, the intake can be made! Just need to cut some and that'll be done pretty quickly.

Name:	IMG_4650.JPG
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	7188793

It was filled with oil! So we cranked it.

Name:	IMG_4646.JPG
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	7188791

We aren't finished wiring yet so that was just to build some oil pressure. Just a tease...

Comment

lord i was at that step too, tried to crank it to build pressure and valve destroyed the piston :/
              e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

so much easier if you get a mafless tune done. Don't need to position the sensor in the intake and you'll notice no difference in running (other than more power).
                Just a little project im working on
                - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Hoping I will be at that point soon. Great progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                    lord i was at that step too, tried to crank it to build pressure and valve destroyed the piston :/
                    Thankfully that didn't happen to me.

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                    so much easier if you get a mafless tune done. Don't need to position the sensor in the intake and you'll notice no difference in running (other than more power).
                    Thanks for the suggestion but since all the parts are bought we might as well run with the MAF.

Hoping I will be at that point soon. Great progress!

Thanks!

Exhaust is coming together! The full dual 3" is making it hard to make sure there is good ground clearance.

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	7188877
                    Got the OBD2 port wired up and working, of course it's throwing a lot of codes. None of them are cause for concern.

Name:	IMG_4662.JPG
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	7188878
                    Lower and Upper rad hoses are done.

Name:	IMG_4667.JPG
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7188879

Since they are done we vacuum filled the coolant system.

Name:	IMG_4669.JPG
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	7188880

Wiring is still in progress, here is the mess so far... Only half a connector and some stragglers left to solder.

Name:	IMG_4671.JPG
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	7188881

Comment

Got the exhaust all the way to the rear diff, the rest should be pretty quick. We almost just did a side exit right in front of the rear tire just to make it quicker. But I thought that would be way too loud. Rear diff also had to be raised by some spacers because of the driveshaft. Still have to figure out some more wiring.

Name:	IMG_4676.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	7188895

Comment

Got the intake done, pretty tight fit but it's done.

Name:	IMG_4677.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	7188899

After we got the intake in we put on the hood. There was so clearance issues with the top of the filter. Easily fixed.

Name:	IMG_4680.JPG
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7188900

Now it's just killing time until the steering shaft gets here. It's ready to be started, the only wiring left is for gauges. The exhaust is almost done. Just spot welded pipes into position that will need to be fully welded tomorrow. We fabricated a hanger bracket to the tranny. Just in case if I bottom it out on a speed bump it won't destroy my headers.

Comment

This is delicious! Dual 3" pipes eh? Shooting for some big power?

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Looking good, 3in pipes are loud btw...my car with dual 3in, highflow cat, x-pipe, resonators and muffler still idles at 89dbs :)
                            95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                            Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                            LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              This is delicious! Dual 3" pipes eh? Shooting for some big power?
                              That's the plan! Bit hard to fit though.

Big day today! We loaded it on the trailer and brought it down to Under Pressure Power & Performance. Looks mean on the trailer.

Name:	IMG_4682.JPG
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	7188920
                              At the shop.

Name:	IMG_4685.JPG
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7188921

Tuning.

Name:	IMG_4686.JPG
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7188922

And some more shots on the trailer.

Name:	IMG_4689.JPG
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7188923
                              First start! First impressions are: INSANELY LOUD! The straight 3" is way too loud. Muffler has already been ordered. I'm not sure how accurate an Iphone decibel meter is... but supposedly it idles at are around 90-95. But at this level it is not daily drivable. I will be pulled over every 20 feet.
                              Last edited by beggs; 10-17-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

That sounds bad ass!

What cam do you have in there?
                                Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
                                X