Wilwood master cylinder leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilwood master cylinder leaking

I running the garagistic remote master cylinder set up under the dash and was happy with it untill I tried to bleed the brakes for the first time today.

While bleeding then I noticed some drips right under the brake pedal and found where the fitting going into the master cylinder was leaking. I tightened them to the point where I didn't feel comfortable going and harder. Still leaking. I'm going to try some Teflon tape next and see if it helps.

Anyone else have problems with there master cylinders leaking???

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Aren't they an AN or inverted flare fitting? If it was over tightened, or one of the parts had a burr and galled the sealing surface, it's probably junk now. Tape on the threads won't seal that type of joint.
    '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
    10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

Actually, they might be a straight thread AN. If you don't have an o ring or crush washer, that's your problem.
      '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
      10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

They are 1/8 27 npt

Comment

Originally posted by jon volk View Post
          Actually, they might be a straight thread AN. If you don't have an o ring or crush washer, that's your problem.
          They are npt thought they get better sealing the tighter they get

Comment

I'm a little concerned about these leaking. I haven't put fluid/pressure thru my system yet. The fittings have a lot of resistance screwing in, so I didnt know how far to keep threading, I just did it until i got nervous and then backed off so they were pointing in the right direction. Hopefully no leaks...
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
            1988 340iL - Track car
            My M60 V8 swap thread here
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I would never put teflon tape near brake components, if they do not seal metal to metal as intended time to pull apart and get it fixed.

So the masercylidner has an internal NPT thread, what are you trying to screw into it?

Comment

I am going through brake issues with the Wilwood setup right now as well, this being one of them.

Permatex makes a sealant exactly for this purpose: https://www.permatex.com/products/th...hread-sealant/

I let it set overnight last night and now am getting no leaks at the 90ยบ adapters.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  I am going through brake issues with the Wilwood setup right now as well, this being one of them.
                  Were the 90deg fittings 'tight' to screw in for you? What other issues are you having? I plan on checking for leaks etc before i put the underdash stuff back together.
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  My M60 V8 swap thread here
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

On the NPT fittings I used Permatex high temp thread sealant (same as the one posted above) and let it sit for a few days before I pressure tested it. No leaks or any issues on all 3 fittings. If you use the liquid sealant above just know that it takes several days before the sealant completely dries and cures like it should.
                    Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

I still retain that no brake line should ever need sealant. Should be a purely mechanical connection. Metal on metal.

I've no doubt it will fix leaks, but there should be no leaks. If you have leaks, you have the wrong or damaged fittings.

Although the more i read the more it seems everyone puts that thread sealant on NPT fittings on wilwood brakes. Seems counter intuitive.
                      Last edited by e30davie; 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        I would never put teflon tape near brake components, if they do not seal metal to metal as intended time to pull apart and get it fixed.

So the masercylidner has an internal NPT thread, what are you trying to screw into it?
                        A npt threaded brake line adapter

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post

Permatex makes a sealant exactly for this purpose: https://www.permatex.com/products/th...hread-sealant/

I let it set overnight last night and now am getting no leaks at the 90ยบ adapters.
                          Awesome thanks for this I will give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                            On the NPT fittings I used Permatex high temp thread sealant (same as the one posted above) and let it sit for a few days before I pressure tested it. No leaks or any issues on all 3 fittings. If you use the liquid sealant above just know that it takes several days before the sealant completely dries and cures like it should.
                            So do I put the sealant on and let it sit or put the sealant on thread it in the master cylinder then let it sit?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                              Although the more i read the more it seems everyone puts that thread sealant on NPT fittings on wilwood brakes. Seems counter intuitive.
                              That's the same conclusion I came to.

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                              So do I put the sealant on and let it sit or put the sealant on thread it in the master cylinder then let it sit?
                              It takes 4 hours to fixture and 72 hours to cure. I gave it over 12 hours before I put any pressure.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                              X