Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.3 LS Swap into 91 318i

Hey everyone, my name's Ian.

I picked up my car back in July for $500. It needed a fuel pump/battery and I was able to start it up without any trouble.
    Odometer says 172k or so, but it's frozen at that point and the motor was swapped out to different M42 that's currently in there.
    Just some rotted vacuum lines and squealing belts, otherwise it runs like a champ.

Back in October, I picked up a 3rd gen 5.3 vortec in incredible shape, unknown mileage, for $400 from a mechanic shop that was downsizing to a smaller building and had to clear stock.

I currently have the heads off for light cleaning, head gasket upgrade(ls9) , lifter replacement, spring upgrade, and cam upgrade.

Went with PAC 1218 springs and a Sloppy Stage 2 Cam, will be running a Holley Terminator X for ECU and a ZF for transmission. Going to turbo charge for 500-600hp, but haven't completely spec'd out that portion of the build yet.

Pulled the hood, front bumper, and exhaust the other day in preparation for ripping out the m42/trans.

I'm going to build my own mounts (Garret's) and avoid buying from the swap kit sites as much as possible. I'll splurge when I feel it's necessary, but I'm trying to cut costs where it's reasonable to do so.

I plan on documenting the build here, on my blog, and on youtube. I feel like documentation for this swap is a little fragmented, and there's a decent range of options I've come across so I'm going to build a section of my blog as an information repository with links to suppliers, build threads, vlogs, etc.

I already have a few videos up if you're interested in checking out my build so far.

Blog - http://www.dividedbeing.com
    Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9H...x0BtgPoicyQzSg

I'm pretty hyped to be able to drive this thing
    91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

your youtube channel and videos look well made and cool. its admirable your taking on that level of documentation while undertaking the project itself.

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post
      your youtube channel and videos look well made and cool. its admirable your taking on that level of documentation while undertaking the project itself.
      I really appreciate that. Thanks a lot.
      I'm having a lot of fun putting the videos together. I've wanted to get a youtube channel going for a long time, but couldn't find motivation or interest to regularly film anything. This is basically the perfect opportunity to do it :)

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Funny enough, I was already subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
          Funny enough, I was already subscribed
          Thanks for subscribing! And that's awesome that you found it. It's great to see that people are stumbling on the channel. Do you know if you saw one of my posts on reddit or saw it through youtube search?

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Believe it was a reddit post

Comment

Cool. That's the only other place I'm posting about this. I was actually here back in the day, around 2004 or so when I had my 85 318i(it got stolen). It's great that r3v is still around with an active community.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post
                Cool. That's the only other place I'm posting about this. I was actually here back in the day, around 2004 or so when I had my 85 318i(it got stolen). It's great that r3v is still around with an active community.
                Yeah, I loosely follow r/E30, not too many V8 swaps on there, so when I saw your video post I hit subscribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

Yeah, I loosely follow r/E30, not too many V8 swaps on there, so when I saw your video post I hit subscribe.
                  Same. I check in there every now and then. More frequently these days since I'm posting my project there. I like /r/projectcar and /r/lsswaptheworld as well right now. Thanks for the subscribe, brotha.

Added a new edition to the build log today.
                  E30 LS Swap - Budget 5.3 (Part 5) - Removing Driveshaft

(So the youtube embed appears to be broken here or maybe I'm just doing it wrong)

Only had time yesterday to pull the driveshaft. I just kind of dove into it without really looking at a bentley or anything. Easy enough, but I ran into a few snags I probably could have avoided if I actually followed some sort of procedure haha. Going to get the motor out this coming week for sure. Possibly this weekend.
                  Last edited by DividedBeing; 12-19-2019, 07:22 PM.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Not sure if anyone needs it, but it took me a bit to hunt down a factory repair manual for my car. Apparently the Bentley doesn't contain the 91 318i/M42, but the factory manual does.

I made a dropbox folder with the individual files to select from, or you can download them as a zip.

BMW E30 models 1982 to 1991 Factory Repair Manual:

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Subscribed. Not many 4 door V8's running around. Keep up with the good work!
                      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Supadave View Post
                        Subscribed. Not many 4 door V8's running around. Keep up with the good work!
                        Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. I think the 4 doors get a lot of undeserved shit on different forums I've been to. I'll admit if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably choose a coupe. Although the 318i I had back in high school was a coupe and it was such a pain in the ass to try and transport friends/family in that car, trying to squeeze people in the back.

I might do something similar to @jesselom's 4 Door E30.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hC0fQRM.jpg
Views:	1636
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	9893411

It's honestly pretty hilarious, but he can open the rear doors by removing a couple bolts

Name:	e7VZ64x.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	9893412

But I'm not completely decided on how I'll handle the car visually. I've just been collecting photos of other people's cars I come across for inspiration.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

That looks pretty funny

I'm a sucker for a Rocket Bunny. Still need to start fitting my kit...

Comment

lol yeah I had no idea it was a 4 door until he posted that pic with the rear door open.

Apparently he used an ebay knockoff pandem kit with a lot of modding to make it fit. He made the rocker himself.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post

It's honestly pretty hilarious, but he can open the rear doors by removing a couple bolts

Name:	e7VZ64x.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	9893412
                              LOL! That is pretty awesome. Throw some Dzus fasteners on it so you can drop the groceries in the back seat!

Comment

Working...
                              X