Ethurtee and Iliad's S62 Mtech 2 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots more progress on the S62 swap!

next up was modifying the 4 core Z3M radiator. The outlet and the AC compressor wanted to occupy the same space and since the compressor was there first, we decided to modify the radiator :)
    604812864 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

And just like that, no more interference!
    2020-03-31_03-37-49 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

We also installed one of these nifty block adapters so that you can run a screw on filter and not have to use the huge oil filter housing. This saved a ton of space which we gladly took.
    20200229_170610 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

Some heat shielding was added to the firewall.
    20200308_141437 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr
    20200308_141422 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

Radiator hoses were ordered from Pegasus (awesome website that was super useful to us)
    20200329_144707 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

perfect fit!
    20200329_153229 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

Power steering reservoir fit nearly perfectly in the factory location
    20200330_184939 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr
    20200330_185018 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

New fuel pump was installed. Used the same pump on the S54 car and it has worked well, so this car gets the same treatment.
    20200328_130112 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

New FPR installed as well with a barb fitting.
    20200328_140051 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

Parallel flow condenser installed with the biggest spal pusher fan we could find
    20200328_162104 by Brian Hardy, on Flickr

Very close to our first start now!

Comment

*Following, Awesome looking build so far man.
      sigpic
      E30love

Comment

Originally posted by jink0619 View Post
        *Following, Awesome looking build so far man.
        Thanks!
        It's really starting to shape up now!

Comment

I'm working on an S62 swap as well. Do you mind posting the following? Love this build.

-Radiator fan P/N?
          -A/C Condenser P/N?
          -Condenser Fan P/N?

-How are you liking the oil filter adapter? Where'd you source that?

-What A/C lines are you using? They look like off the shelf lines.

-Did the 300mm.de kit come with the brake booster push-rod? Mine is on the way and I'm hoping that's the case.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by bearclaw View Post
            I'm working on an S62 swap as well. Do you mind posting the following? Love this build.

-Radiator fan P/N?
            -A/C Condenser P/N?
            -Condenser Fan P/N?

-How are you liking the oil filter adapter? Where'd you source that?

-What A/C lines are you using? They look like off the shelf lines.

-Did the 300mm.de kit come with the brake booster push-rod? Mine is on the way and I'm hoping that's the case.

Cheers!
            Radiator fan- we did a high output spal pusher first and it wouldn't keep the car cool with the ac on so we went with a shrouded pusher fan. It needed some modification to fit but works well with our 100+ degree summers.
            Free Shipping - Flex-A-Lite Black Magic Xtreme Series Electric Fans with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fans, Electric at Summit Racing.

Condenser- stock parallel flow condenser. Nissens I believe

Condenser fan- same one as above.

Oil filter adapter is a huge plus!
            Freed up a ton of space in the engine bay and filters are readily available. You can buy it here:
            BMW M60/M62/S62 oilfilter adapter kit. Finally a solution by Flux to mount your oilfilter directly on the engine. Possibility for a cooler connection with additional sandwich plate. (not included) This set includes: – Oilfilter Adapter – Oilfilter – Meyle oilpressure sensor (M12x1,5) – Fasteners – Additional sandwich plate option, see note Note: – Oil flow […]

AC lines were custom made using factory e30 lines (for the chassis side) and e39/e38 lines (for the engine side)

Yes, I believe the kit came with the pusher rod.
            The brackets in the kit are pretty crappy but the rest of the stuff is nice. The rod makes the booster relocation far easier although it's still a tight fit.

I need to update the post as this project was completed in August of last year and has since accumulated 3000+ miles. :)

Comment

All the info is very much appreciated!

-With the filter relocation, did you just cap off the extra return line on the oil pan from the original S62 filter housing?

-I went with the SPAL fan as well based on a few other similar builds - bummed to see it didn't work out for you. I'm in Seattle and hoping our cooler climate will help. Also running an OEM Z3M radiator as opposed to the Mishimoto unit.

-In hindsight, would you have spent the time to make your core support removable, or was dropping the motor/trans in not a problem? Some people say its a nightmare, some people say it's a non issue. Some people install from below.

-Congrats! Awesome to hear that the swap is running strong after 3k+ miles! I'm going to use the M5 cluster. Hashing out the fuel senders and speedometer input has been a real pain on that front.

Comment

Out of curiosity what did you do for the mk60 wheel speed sensors in the rear control arms? Im doing pretty close to the same build

Comment

Originally posted by bearclaw View Post
                  All the info is very much appreciated!

-With the filter relocation, did you just cap off the extra return line on the oil pan from the original S62 filter housing?

-I went with the SPAL fan as well based on a few other similar builds - bummed to see it didn't work out for you. I'm in Seattle and hoping our cooler climate will help. Also running an OEM Z3M radiator as opposed to the Mishimoto unit.

-In hindsight, would you have spent the time to make your core support removable, or was dropping the motor/trans in not a problem? Some people say its a nightmare, some people say it's a non issue. Some people install from below.

-Congrats! Awesome to hear that the swap is running strong after 3k+ miles! I'm going to use the M5 cluster. Hashing out the fuel senders and speedometer input has been a real pain on that front.
                  Sorry for the late response.
                  I really need to sit down and finish up this thread.

Yes, we capped off the extra return line hole.

You might be ok with the spal and the z3m setup. It's just blistering hot down here in New Orleans and the fan just wasn't able to move enough air for us.

No, honestly I did all my measurements and fabrication without the transmission attached to the engine and it just dropped in and came out easily with a cherry picker.

Cool, good luck and make a thread so we can follow along!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gokarter64 View Post
                    Out of curiosity what did you do for the mk60 wheel speed sensors in the rear control arms? Im doing pretty close to the same build
                    Shave down the mounting hole until the sensor is close enough to the teethed wheel.
                    I used a scan tool with live data to make sure it was operational.

Comment

Do you have part numbers for those silicone cooling hoses? I just put on the factory e39 hoses for my m62 swap and they are too long/kinked. Would love a clean option like what you have.

Comment

Did this ever get finished?
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimothy View Post
                          Do you have part numbers for those silicone cooling hoses? I just put on the factory e39 hoses for my m62 swap and they are too long/kinked. Would love a clean option like what you have.
                          I don't, they were ordered almost 2 years ago now.
                          you'll need to measure your coolant outlets and then get a couple different angles and a union piece.
                          Everything was ordered from Pegasus racing.

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                            Did this ever get finished?
                            Yes, finished up over a year ago and it's been up to NC to slay the dragon.
                            Need to finish up this post when I have some time.

Here are a few more pics and videos of the build.

Comment

Working...
                            X