Loose Steering After Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose Steering After Refresh

Hey guys, so I've been trying to do my due diligence of research but I am unable to figure out what my problem is or if its even a problem at all. I recently did a full suspension refresh on my car and notice that the steering was still loose and didnt feel as engaged or gokarty as I'd like. I will list the things down below that were changed and link i posted for reference. I have a E92 M3 as well if that helps to reference steering feel. I was hoping it would be accurate and tight as that!

-SLR Adjustable FCAB
    -Brand New OEM 97+ LCA's
    -Rebuilt Maval Z3 Steering Rack
    -Garagistic Poly Full Bushing Kit
    -Garagistic Delrin Coupler
    -Brand New Inner/Outer Tie Rods
    -Broadway Static E36 Suspension
    -IE Rear Camber and Toe Adjustment Brackets
    -Car has been aligned after full refresh.

did you upgrade the steering guibo?

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      did you upgrade the steering guibo?
      Yeah! The Delrin Coupler is the Guibo.

Comment

Wow! Seems to have a lot of "slack" for lack of a better term. I did z3 rack swap a few months ago and the steering is tight!! You might have to get under the car and have a helper turn the wheel until it "grabs"/turns. Look at the steering shaft. Might need wheels to be on car ramps. I had the same issue on my e46 and thought it was the rack. With a helper I was able to see that it was a worn guibo/steering coupler. Hope that helps.

Comment

didn't some e36 racks come with a "flat spot" in the middle to prevent from having a darty feeling? i swear i read that years back. i wonder if you got an e36 instead of a z3 specific rack.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to guess they didn't set the gear depth when they rebuilt it looking at your video. The big 12 point? castle nut on the bottom front of the rack sets the gears (found this out the hard way when I rebuilt mine). Mark the nut in relation to the housing and spin it clockwise 1/4-1/2 a turn and see if the slop improves. I'm going to bet someone just stuck it back in there and called it good.

Comment

Originally posted by tyeler18 View Post
              I'm going to guess they didn't set the gear depth when they rebuilt it looking at your video. The big 12 point? castle nut on the bottom front of the rack sets the gears (found this out the hard way when I rebuilt mine). Mark the nut in relation to the housing and spin it clockwise 1/4-1/2 a turn and see if the slop improves. I'm going to bet someone just stuck it back in there and called it good.
              You are right it helps the slack but it makes steering heavier.
              Tino If your steering now is too light go ahead and tighten the nut a little maybe 1/4 and see.

Comment

Well, if 1/4" of movement at the rim of the steering wheel doesn't steer the front wheels noticeably,
                you have a mechanical problem.

If it does, you have an alignment issue.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X