Coolant Hose Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Hose Questions

I'm replacing part number #13 from the diagram below on my 07/91 cabrio (BMW par #11531722743). I did the same thing on my 10/88 touring last year and this hose connected directly to one of the heater tubes coming through the firewall. On the cabrio, there is a plastic T-fitting about 6" from the firewall connection, with a smaller hose branching off the T and going down between the head and firewall. Buried in the same location and very difficult to see under the wire loom is something that looks like a water valve. Neither of these exist on the touring and I can't find them on realOEM. Can anyone help me figure out what there are and their purpose? I can try to get pics if needed. Thanks, Cory

engine cooling hoses diagram by cory58f5, on Flickr

1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

It's an additional thermostat.
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0135

It's supposed to protect your legs in case you overheat the coolant.

The coolant hose number is wrong in the picture.
    You can eliminate this system if you're not planning to overheat the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
      It's an additional thermostat.
      https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0135

It's supposed to protect your legs in case you overheat the coolant.

The coolant hose number is wrong in the picture.
      You can eliminate this system if you're not planning to overheat the engine.
      THANK YOU! Don't know how I still missed that diagram on realOEM after 10 minutes of searching. Also apologize for my original note not being clear - even though I mentioned the secondary thermostat, my first sentence was referring to the 3-way hose that connects to the thermostat housing, expansion tank and heater tube by the dash (#13).

I'll take this opportunity to eliminate that secondary thermostat. This project is a fun example of scope creep - it started out as finding/fixing an engine oil leak.

Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

The hose #13 isn't pictured proportionally.
        But it's the longest hose in the system.

The additional thermostat is inserted where the hose #13 connects to the heater tube.

Comment

Working...
        X