Fan Clutch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Clutch Question

I'm doing my first timing belt job (started today, didn't finish). I removed my fan and it's clutch but I think I made a noob mistake. I left the fan laying on it's side as I was working and it stayed there the whole day. I just now leaned it up until I finish the job tomorrow. My question is did I likely ruin the clutch and how can I test it?

Newspaper test?

Comment

Originally posted by slippery View Post
      Newspaper test?
      what he said. chances are your clutch is 100% ok if it was ok to begin with.

Comment

Looks like it’s shot. I rolled up a magazine and stuck it in the blades after driving for 30 minutes. Stopped the fan pretty easily. Fan also spins too freely when the car is cold/off. I also have a whirring noise after doing my timing belt. Hoping it’s one of the drive belts or the fan but it’s probably the tensioner…

Comment

why would laying it down damage it?

Comment

are you sure you got it hot enough?
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by peytonracer4 View Post
              Read something about the fluid draining out and the clutch won’t operate properly. I ended up just buying a new one. The new one has quite a bit more resistance, should be good to go now.

Comment

Originally posted by peytonracer4 View Post
                I'm pretty sure that's an old wife's tale. How long do those things sit on parts distributor's shelves laying down?

Comment

Working...
                X