Cleaning hood pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning hood pad?

I was able to source a used hood insulation pad and would like to clean it. I'm scared to tear it up and could not find trustworthy info from a Google search. Does anyone have experience cleaning one? Can I use a hose, brush and cleaner? I saw a post somewhere recommending steam cleaning or a pressure washer on low setting. There is what looks like an oil stain. Will the pad material handle a strong degreaser?

Thanks, Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

From my build thread. Hope this helps.
    Ran this hood blanket for ~4 years after that and it still looked just as good as the day I painted.

Originally posted by Panici View Post
    ---------------------------
    -
    May 4/16

I did paint the E30's hood blanket with a can of Duplicolor Fabric Paint. I think I got 4 or 5 coats out of a single can. I bought a second can, but decided it wasn't needed. Hood blanket looks WAY better. Well worth the $14 and time to paint.

I did literally zero prep to paint the hood blanket, as a spot test with just a cloth and water was already pulling the blanket fibers apart.

Before (back of the blanket, which was actually cleaner then the front):

During (Front, one or two coats):

After: see May 11 update post below for finished+installed pictures.

May 11/16
    • Reinstalled my hood blanket, which was painted with Duplicolor Fabric Paint.

​​

Comment

From my build thread. Hope this helps.
      Ran this hood blanket for ~4 years after that and it still looked just as good as the day I painted.
      ​​
      Thank you. Great info. Incredible result with no prep/cleaning.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

You're welcome!

I actually still have my hood blanket in storage, but now that the hood is all refinished and repainted it looks better without.

Comment

Working...
        X