• Show
Clear All

Cruise Control Broke

Click image for larger version

Name:	1BD458DC-342D-4E3E-9423-7B96F735D00E.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	10095428 Hello,

Replaced the gears in my odo and now my cruise control doesn’t work. It’s possible it could have been caused by removing the cluster and not rewiring it correctly. I’ve taken it back out but it looks like everything is plugged into the green piece correctly. Does this look right? Also, what is the extra black plug connected to the two plugs going into the green piece? It’s just sitting unplugged.

also the speedometer seems to be incorrect. It’ll show I’m going 90/91 MPH while the OBC shows about 80/82.

what’s the deal?

Thanks,​
    1992 325i Convertible

Update: I’m convinced the green plug is the issue. The green/black wire is the speed governor for the electric top, it’s supposed to prevent the top from opening past 2 MPH. The yellow/blue wire connects to the cruise control. The top is able to open/close at speeds over 2MPH and the cruise control isn’t working. Do I just replace the green plug or is something more significant inside the speedometer broken? The cruise control worked before I changed the gears in the odo…. And the top didn’t work until about a week ago so wasn’t able to test that until now.

Thank you for the help.
    1992 325i Convertible

Comment

It was my understanding that all 3 of those pins are connected to each other. I believe they are are Pins 1 (C6), 10 (C2), and 26 (C3) on Sheet 6210-0. You can go to sheet 6571-0 to see the schematic for the cruise control system. All of this is based off of the 1992 325i Convertible ETM:

sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I've taken apart the green plug and the speedometer to see if there are any cracks in the circuit boards. Doesn't appear to be any damage. The connection the green plug makes to the speedo circuit board isn't very promising. Only 1 of the 4 prongs on the green plug slips into only one metal mating hoop on the speedo board. It doesn't feel very tight either. Is that right? I've attached pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	10095490 Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	10095493 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	10095492 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	10095494
        Attached Files
        1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Solved the cruise control and electric top speed cut off. It was the green plug. I bent the one prong that makes contact with the metal mating hoop on the speedo to ensure it would touch the metal hoop when inserted. Seems to have worked because I have my cruise control back and the top doesn’t raise/lower over 2 MPH!

That green plug seems like an afterthought but it’s super pivotal. Don’t overlook it if you have cruise control issues.
          1992 325i Convertible

Comment

good fix.

Comment

Working...
            X