Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine gearbox combo

Hi guys hoping for some real world advice
    My car is a 1990 4 door e30 which has a m43 block with an m40 head (not my choice is was in the car when purchased) this is the mated to an automatic gearbox.

I am not bothered about a manual swap unless it best to do so, I would like to do an engine swap and would like 200bhp so maybe m52 or m50 but what gear box would be best to either mate up to my gearbox or be replaced by a different auto box, I need an easy swap as I will be doing this for the first time and need a simple swap

You should manual swap.
    Completely transforms the driving experience.
    Old automatic transmissions are dogs compared to modern offerings.
    My car was originally an M20B25 with an Auto box.

I have used both a G260 and a ZF320 behind an M52B28.

The G260 was out of a 1986 325E and mated up perfectly to the M20B25 using the original single-mass flywheel and clutch. Think I had to change the pilot bearing on the engine side. When I swapped to an M52B28, I bought a custom trans bracket to account for the difference in "twist" on the 24v engine.
    Gear ratios were good and it was plenty strong behind a bolt-on M52.

I now have a ZF320 behind the same engine (again had to change the pilot bearing), as it is stronger for my turbocharged application.
    Unfortunately this trans has a 1:1 5th gear (no overdrive), so I needed to change the rear differential as well from a 3.73LSD to 2.73LSD to bring the cruising revs down.

Comment

is there a 6 speed gearbox that can be fitted to m50 or m52

Comment

Originally posted by Corasdad View Post
        the ones that mate to the s54 from the late e36 m3 and early m46 m3 should work. best to go the whole the s5x swap for it instead of an m5x though.

Comment

S54 is to much money I need to try do this on a budget

Comment

If you can pick up a good used ZF320, you might be able to swap it for a 420G.

The ZF is stronger and I've seen folks pushing serious power change from the 6-speed to a 5-speed for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

If you can pick up a good used ZF320, you might be able to swap it for a 420G.

The ZF is stronger and I've seen folks pushing serious power change from the 6-speed to a 5-speed for that reason.
              nice to know. i wouldn't have guessed the 5 would hold more power.

Comment

I thought the six speed behind the e36 330i (GS6-37BZ​) was rated at 370nm verses the ZF230 rates at 320nm.... thus the 6 speed is stronger??

Comment

I have chance of a cheap 528i e39 but it's auto do you know if this box fits e30 please

Comment

I have chance of a cheap 528i e39 but it's auto do you know if this box fits e30 please
                    probably works if you are bringing both motor and trans over as a unit. solving for drive shaft and rear end might be a pain. it's not a swap anyone does, so you're gonna have a hell of a time finding any info on it. the normal path is a swap to 5 spd.

edit ; you're still gonna need e34 pan etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X