Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on radiator support replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on radiator support replacement?

So thinking about buying a 318is to serve dd for my while I travel to work and school. The body interior and motor on this particular vehicle are immaculate and in great condition. However a truck decided to back into it destroying the front plastic bumper, valence and severely bending the lower part of the rad support. However the current owner has a replacement set of bumper, valence and fog lights. Can't pass it up for the price. Any advice?

That can be repaired. Depending on the extent of the damage it might be possible to straighten it, or it may be necessary to cut the damaged area out and weld in a replacement.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Replacement at this point is the best way to go. I took most of the front end when I went to inspect it yesterday and looks like a rad support is the only thing I need. All body panels, hood and fenders and new front end stuff are still good and the car drives perfectly straight.

Comment

Cut it out and weld the new core support in as clean as possible.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Has anyone ever done it? Mike (white325is) told me that the best way to so it is to drill out any of the old spot welds that hold the rad support in and then weld in the new support. Any pictures or DIY of this?

Comment

I've done it. It has always seemed to me like this sort of task was a matter of applying common sense. I use a spot weld cutter (like http://www.eastwood.com/ew-skip-proo...ld-cutter.html) to get the old part free.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i got into an accident with my old 325e...i bent the raddi support, i took it to a body shop and they pulled it out...to be honest i would replace it! i had issues with the lower radiator hose(alternator, hitting the raddi hose, due to a shitty job benting the raddi support by the idiots that work there).

get a new one and weld it in.
              Originally posted by e30e
              lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

I drilled out the spot welds on mine.....what a fuckin pita. welded the new one in. but i hate body work/repair so thats just my opnion

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

I did it. dropped it off at a shop, gave them $500, bam! new core support. ;)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
                    I drilled out the spot welds on mine.....what a fuckin pita. welded the new one in. but i hate body work/repair so thats just my opnion
                    same story here.

Comment

Back from the dead as searching hasn't helped. If I wanted to get the rad support oem to help my bodyshop out, would i beable to order the 318is rad support? For some reason in realoem the 325i only shows the ability to get the entire front end as one peice. The 318is shows the front complete rad support as a single unit. I just want to make sure the radiator and fan holes are the same on both the 4cyl and 6cyl late model e30s. Otherwise I'll just have to find a straight donor. Can anyone confirm they're the same or different? TIA
                      ReverseOTL.
                      NewParts4sale.
                      PartsWanted.

Comment

Disregard! Upon further investigation it appears they're the same for both engines. Still weird how they list it for one model differently than the other.
                        ReverseOTL.
                        NewParts4sale.
                        PartsWanted.

Comment

This isnt terribly hard to do. Just consumes time.

You need the spot weld driller, a welder and patience.

Search for a thread I started on this topic. Not a great how-to, but it gives you an idea of what's involved.
                          1990 325is - sterling silver, very nice, maybe for sale

Comment

Working...
                          X