No announcement yet.

Clutch Problem - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get the flywheel bolts off I would normally just use an impact gun, if you dont have one, then hold the crankshaft pulley bolt. May need a helper.
    When I did my clutch, I just deglazed the surface with an abrasive wheel. That usually works fine for me.
    If you have alot of hard spots and grooves and stuff, you may need it resurfaced, but the step on the flywheel needs to be done too, if i remember correctly.
    You dont need anything to install the flywheel and center it, you need the little plastic tool to align the clutch disk when you bolt the pressure plate back up.

Comment

Make sure you do the pilot bearing too.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
        OK. it's been a while, but I finally removed my tranny to replace the clutch. I have a new clutch plate, pressure plate and throw-out bearing to put in. I heard that I should remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced. Do you guys recomend doing that, or is not worth spending my time and money to do that? What are the pros/cons of doing this? If i do resurface the flywheel, how do you recomend I remove the bolts? If i try to loosten them, it just rotates the flywheel. Do I need to do anything special putting it back on to make sure it is centered and balanced? please help.
        p.s. while i'm at it i am goint to throw in a short throw shifter. Not sure if I should get the Z3 1.9 or the Z4. I know that i will have to bend the selector rod thing for the Z4. Does anybody know about the Z3 setup? (my car has the harmonic balancer thing over the flex joint.)
        You should very well resurface the flywheel. There are no cons for it. You just unbolt it and you rebolt them in sequence according to the Bentley manual. Buy new bolts.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I got the flywheel bolts off, but how do I take off the flywheel. All of the bolts are off, but the flywheel won't budge. Is there a trick I don't know about, or any special tool that I might need. Please help.
          -Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
            I got the flywheel bolts off, but how do I take off the flywheel. All of the bolts are off, but the flywheel won't budge. Is there a trick I don't know about, or any special tool that I might need. Please help.
            -Erik
            Just pull, it'll come off with some grunt.
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
            X