e30 Auto transmission upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 Auto transmission upgrade?

ok guys, I know what you're gonna say...LOL. no I don't want to swap a 5 sp in.
    Does anyone know if there is a performance kit or shift kit for e30 auto transmission available? Nothing to hairy; but then again what could be for an auto anyway..lol.

pm's would be appreciated.

thanks.

sigpic

When you find something, let me know. I have an M20 E34 I am gonna keep auto, but plan on a tiny turbo...low boost, very laggy, very mellow 200HP is the goal.

I do NOT wanna change the torque converter unless I have to.

I am building a cruiser. I wanna drive it to Colorado or beyond, or North Dakota is need be.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I did this upgrade on my auto.. Higher stall torque converter and modified body.. I had to send the parts in.. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
      They do e30 transmissions, just search around the site. Costly though..
      "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

Originally posted by ja burna View Post
        I did this upgrade on my auto.. Higher stall torque converter and modified body.. I had to send the parts in.. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
        They do e30 transmissions, just search around the site. Costly though..
        I was going to suggest something similar. Auto trans with a different tq converter and different body makes the car so so different.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Land Rover Discos used 4hp22 untill the late '90s, lots of the the parts in them are pretty heavy-duty

just fyi, cuz I don't know if/how if would mount or bolt up
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Todd from TCD did a turbo behind one of his project cars as a mule. Used it for drag racing.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              Todd from TCD did a turbo behind one of his project cars as a mule. Used it for drag racing.
              Do you have more details of what he did, or should I contact him?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

get a sequential transmission. its the ultimate automatic transmission. computer controls the clutch. shifting happens in fractions of a fraction of a second.

sellholm makes one for e30s. costs around 10 grand. fits without modification into e30s.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Great, like I give a fuck. I seriously doubt if I will ever even do a cooler on mine, much less drop 10 large on a goddamn transmission for a stupid E30!

Closing SOON!

Comment

without spending a shitload of money, what kind of things can you do to them to pep them up a bit?

Comment

them = auto tranny? if its functioning properly to start with you can modify the valve body(springs?) or buy the kit that is offered in a couple places. You can also try out a different tq converter if you can find one to fit. a lot of volvos and LRs had the same 4hp22 so there might be a good converter out there to change the feel and performance, but since the bellhousings are often different, not all converters will bolt in without modification. If it hasn't been done already, someone needs to sort through some volvos for one that will fit. Maybe something with a higher stall speed? I don't know a lot about tq converters but I would like to know there is a better one for my IX.
                      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
                      89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
                      88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted
                      89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
                      88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone

Comment

Can someone direct me to a website that sells ZF 4HP22 performance shift kits? I guess I should ask if these are even available? I would like to upgrade and at the same time correct any inherent problems that happen ie.such as slippage.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          When you find something, let me know. I have an M20 E34 I am gonna keep auto, but plan on a tiny turbo...low boost, very laggy, very mellow 200HP is the goal.

I do NOT wanna change the torque converter unless I have to.

I am building a cruiser. I wanna drive it to Colorado or beyond, or North Dakota is need be.
                          I found this on e30techforum:

Spring kit for the valve body.
                          sigpic

Comment

are you experiencing problems with your trans? depending on the issues a spring kit might not help very much.
                            I found that tightening the bowden cable from the TB to the trans made a big big difference. My trans was making slow, very smooth shifts at low rpms - very blah. after tightening it a bit, it shifts higher and harsher, which is better for me.
                            BTW, check to see if your spring button under your gas pedal is working. Mine was seized and wouldn't let me open the TB past 70% or so. Once I loosened it, wide open was much nicer.
                            88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
                            89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
                            89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
                            88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone

Comment

I have a modified valve body and 4.27 torsen diff. and it makes the car plenty fun to drive. still doing a 5 speed swap later but its a blast to drive.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X