Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tools do you own, use the most, wish you had, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the goddamn reverse Torx sockets. (I think they are actually called "E" type sockets) Try doing a head gasket or removing the tranny without them.
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Bump for a great thread. My dad's garage has every tool known to man but i'm going to be moving away so I need to buy a complete set of tools that will cover most DIY work on E30s.

Any suggestions for starting from scratch? I need to buy all essential tools for DIY car work. I have an E46 right now so it will be just that and an E30 I will be working on. I'm trying to make a list. I don't want to cheap out on this. I want to buy the best tools.
      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
        Any suggestions for starting from scratch?
        have you read this thread yet?

buy a 100-300 piece mechanics tool set. where you buy it depends on how much you're willing to spend. there's harbor freight. there's sears/craftsman. and there's snap-on.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

i love harbor freight, ive got tons of there air tools. i have snap on and hutchens sanders but for other stuff i just get harbor freight, ive also been buying there sockets, for the price of one snap on socket i can get an entire set of harbor freight. for home use its all i have, at work on the other hand i use almost exclusively snap on sockets and wrenches but i use them every day.

Comment

i have a nice little socket set i got from wal-mart for like $80. you would think they were crap, but i've used them to put a motor back together and take apart suspension. i would love some flare nut wrenches and some ratcheting metric wrenches. i recently got a 24v electric impact gun from autozone. i didnt expect it to be very good, but i've used it a lot since i got it and it's never had a problem zipping shit off. now i need impact sockets and extensions before i break my normal sockets!

i also have the reverse torx sockets (head removal, trans removal), the normal torx sockets (so far only the cam gear bolt), and some allen sockets (awesome for brakes, as well as the ABS and CPS sensors.)

i would love a compressor/air tools, but i've gotten by without them so far. a lift would be nice too, but the low profile aluminum racing jack from harbor freight works just fine too, and lifts pretty damn high.

also make sure to invest in a caliper spreader. the screw down ones are only like 12 bucks and work like a charm

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

So far I picked up a 260 pc craftsman mechanics set, torque wrench, 10 pc socket accessories kit that had adaptors, more extensions, and universal joints. A magnetic extention thing and mirror, 15" 1/2" flex bar, and yesterday I picked up a 7pc metric gearwrench set, on sale at NAPA for fathers day for $35

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
              Originally posted by DTM190
              "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

I need to get some good air tools, and fix my compressor. I have a 25 gallon Craftsman compressor, but it won't build pressure above 40 psi.

I also wish I had a good quality torque wrench, and I think I'm going to buy a fender roller.

Comment

I need to get me one of these someday soon

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  I also wish I had a good quality torque wrench
                  That too!
                  Last edited by Schniddy; 06-16-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    I need to get some good air tools, and fix my compressor. I have a 25 gallon Craftsman compressor, but it won't build pressure above 40 psi.

I also wish I had a good quality torque wrench, and I think I'm going to buy a fender roller.
                    Either your rings are shot or your intake valves are worn out and not sealing on the exhaust stroke.
                    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

- Visegrip
                      - Metal Chisel
                      - 4 lb mini sledge

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I bought that radiator pick tool from harbor freight to do the bitch clip.

BEST 4 DOLLARS I HAVE EVER SPENT

Comment

^ good idea! but i've learned to use a really small screwdriver to remove the bitch clip. I'll have to look for the radiator pick next time when I'm at harbor freight.

one of my favorite tools is this big fat screwdriver that I have. it's solid from tip through handle so you can hammer on the head of it. works great as a pry bar too. that thing has taken a beating and the tip is still like new!

Comment

Next on my list of goodies
                            NAPA shallow impact swivel socket metric set.

Great value for these considering for 70 bucks more you get less sockets with Snapon and these sockets are probably better.
                            Last edited by b*saint; 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM.
                            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Working...
                            X