Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever DIY a vert window replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAXELHOFF View Post
    Just use glue. Leave about 3 inches overlapping the canvas. Apply pressure during drying time. I did it to a pals canvas non-zippered top, worked well. Gonna be time to get a new top soon enough, unless the car is garaged and pampered. Good luck.
    Exactly...the guy needed his top replaced...so a temporary glue job is (i guess) okay. Julien said his top is in good shape so stitching in a window is a different story...

Comment

I wasted my 2 days off trying to install a zipper window. It sucks. I could never line up the zipper right. I worked on it for almost 3 hours at a time. A few times I got it all in except for 1 inch of space which created a 1 inch gap. Never did get it in. I finally took the car to an upholstery shop and had them sew in a replacement window. Cost to sew in was $100 bucs. Well worth it IMHO.............Be blessed...............G.

Comment

Yeah, I did it DIY, big pain in the but though. I bought the kit off of that miata website for e30s, and the instructions were very.....bad. What I did was take out my window, use it as a template & just sewed it in through the original holes. THen put some glue on the sides as others have said. & if i were you I would mark a few sections on the original window before you take it out & mark it on the top so you can line it up correctly.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

I zipped in my window with the help of 2 other friends in 45minutes.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by e-durty View Post
            my vert top had a zipered window on it
            i i unziped the old window out
            i went to downtop foudn the same size sipper (bought a couple feets or so)
            i went bought a new plastic window sheet from a local upholstery shop for about 80 bucks
            i put the old window ontop the new window sheet i traced it n cut it to its size

then i had the same local shop sew the cipper on the window for 25 bucks

and i zipped it in

i guess i got lucky when i picked this top up at the local yard cuz it had the original izppered window form
            lol, $80 plus shipping for a zipper in window kit from emiata. (plastic with a zipper on it, glue, thread, needle)
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I took a bunch of pics too and could put together kinda of a diy, but a lot of it you need to just see/do physically

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

This is how I fixed my top.

Most convertibles end up looking like this after a few years:

Step 1: Acquire room mate with previous government surgery training and ask him very very nicely to do the work

Step 2:Cut stitches out of old window with exacto knife

Step 3: Carefully lay old window on top of new window, mark it and cut it

Step 4: Use provided needles to place new window in the top. Close top and make sure its sitting inside properly.

Step 5 : Acquire very sharp and strong leather needles (don't go too big, though) and start stitching window in, removing placement needles as you get to them

Step 6: A lot of patience and practice will yield you a new window in your top! (Ignore the fingerprint marks on the window)

Bottom line, not the best solution as it is very time consuming (this took 11 hours), but if you are patient results aren't bad at all!

I also submitted this post to the DIY section

Thanks for the help guys!
                Last edited by Julien; 05-16-2011, 07:06 AM.
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

If you have an M tech convert (late vert), you SHOULD have a zip in rear window.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    If you have an M tech convert (late vert), you SHOULD have a zip in rear window.
                    I think only '92s had zip in windows
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Julien - bravo, man, bravo! :up:
                      Dave
                      -----
                      (OO=[][]=OO)
                      _E30 FAN_

My E30's

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                        I think only '92s had zip in windows
                        Any power top E30s had them I believe.

Comment

Well played sir

Comment

Originally posted by 87-325ic View Post
                            if you get the ebay top, get the good canvas. not the shiny vinyl shit.
                            Originally posted by Mossman View Post
                            I just shat a brick. I got the vinyl one, which I gotta say I kind of like the look of better than black cloth...
                            Which ebay seller sells the best quality canvas top? Which ones should I stay away from?
                            I need to get a new top for my car.

Erik

Comment

I would love to see a zip in DIY. Even thought is seems pretty self explanatory I would love to see it done first.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tico Frank View Post
                                I would love to see a zip in DIY. Even thought is seems pretty self explanatory I would love to see it done first.
                                My 5/91 produced M tech came with a zip in rear window. It's pretty much trial and error lining it up right. Once you get the zipper started it's all cake from there. Then sew up the ends to make sure it doesn't separate on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X