Performance Chip help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEGASQUIRT! Thread over.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

A humble question here, why I need to run high oct if my car is shipped? Just to a proper function, to not break or just to deliver the expected hp and tq gain?

Comment

Originally posted by reztat View Post
        A humble question here, why I need to run high oct if my car is shipped? Just to a proper function, to not break or just to deliver the expected hp and tq gain?
        You gain most of your power from the way the performance chip advances the ignition timing. Higher octane fuel (91) burns more "slowly" than lower octane fuel (87) since it is more resistant to combustion. Since your chip advances the ignition timing, the air+fuel mixture is ignited before the piston reaches TDC on the compression stroke in order to get the combustion started. The goal is for the combustion to come full-on at the right time just as the piston is on its way downward on the power-stroke.

A lower octane fuel will begin combustion too early since it ignites more easily and the energy from the ignited air and fuel expanding is wasted, trying to force the piston downward when the piston is traveling upward.

Easy mode: The chip needs higher octane fuel because it is harder to burn 91 octane than 87 octane and the new settings with the chip would cause 87 octane to burn too soon and waste power.

Comment

Ok.Awesome explanation, thanks a lot. Im searching the most valuable info on those chip's to upgrade mine. Is a little bit hard to find a super-eta one but I will try my best. Thanks a million times.

Comment

Originally posted by Acehye559 View Post
            Thanks man, I had found that site but wasn't quite sure if it was MardD's website. I appreciate the help.
            I've changed the banner on the main page to indicate it's my site. Look for the animated text that says:

Feel the Power
            Of a MarkD Tune

URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
              MEGASQUIRT! Thread over.
              It's over? You want to replace a well designed factory ECU with MS? I sure wouldn't unless there was no other option. On a stock motor with no FI, a chip works better than Megasquirt. I can make a chip work on a turbo motor also. Why is it that people mention MS or the other options, but don't say that you also need a wideband AFR to tune it properly? It's not the solution for everyone. Some people are not able install and tune a system like those.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                It's over? You want to replace a well designed factory ECU with MS? I sure wouldn't unless there was no other option. On a stock motor with no FI, a chip works better than Megasquirt. I can make a chip work on a turbo motor also. Why is it that people mention MS or the other options, but don't say that you also need a wideband AFR to tune it properly? It's not the solution for everyone. Some people are not able install and tune a system like those.
                well some people have developed pre-tunes....

i want MS but it depends on what peoples budget or plans for the future are like if i went MS i would most likely go turbo in the future and if i didnt want to go turbo and keep the m20 i would chip it. or chip a swapped motor
                ]

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                  what? no way. there is no way an off the shelf chip is going to be better than a fully tuned custom option (MS or otherwise), from a performance perspective. Of course you need things like a wideband if you're going to tune it yourself. You also need dyno time. When you buy an off the shelf chip those are fixed costs spread over many copies, but they do still exist. Just not in a "finely tuned specifially for your motor" form.

not to say that an off the shelf chip isn't a good option. But there's no way it's the best performance, unless you dyno tuned each car yourself. It's a very good compromise from a performance vs ease of use perspective. Plug it in and go. maybe that's what you meant to say..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Megasquirts or stand alones are definitely not for everyone. But if you are a gadget whore and a control freak who is constantly trying to push the performance envelope then its the only way to go.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Has anyone run a 2.5 i chip on a 2.7 Seta-i combo? Do you have dyno results?
                      J. Farina

Yeah, thats me kicking up all that dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        what? no way. there is no way an off the shelf chip is going to be better than a fully tuned custom option (MS or otherwise), from a performance perspective. Of course you need things like a wideband if you're going to tune it yourself. You also need dyno time. When you buy an off the shelf chip those are fixed costs spread over many copies, but they do still exist. Just not in a "finely tuned specifially for your motor" form.

not to say that an off the shelf chip isn't a good option. But there's no way it's the best performance, unless you dyno tuned each car yourself. It's a very good compromise from a performance vs ease of use perspective. Plug it in and go. maybe that's what you meant to say..
                        This is a really late response to your post but remote tuning is an option and that is what I was referring to. I do quite a few of those and they work perfectly. Whether a NA motor is running 27 or 28 degrees of timing at some particular load and rpm is not as important as the AFR, and that does not require a dyno to adjust, just some runs on the road. I was not referring to a completely off-the shelf chip. I've been offering remote tuning for roughly 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X