Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odometer not working (tried gears, different odometer, etc), ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer not working (tried gears, different odometer, etc), ideas?

91 318is

I purchased a VDO gear kit to replace the gears on my current ODO. I verified everything functions by manually turning the gears. Reinstalled, still didn't work.

I then picked up another ODO off ebay, checked gears, plugged it in, still didn't work.

All of the other gauges funtion (fuel, water temp, speedo, tach, mpg), still no ODO.

Does anyone have suggestions? I am not too concerned about the actual miles on the car, but the miles I am accumulating. Thanks

I too have a '91 318is with the same problem, havent looked into it much but i am curious as to how you fix your problem cause I would like to keep up to date on oil changes
    '91 318i M50NV
    '95 325is Bone Stock

Comment

Iirc there is something wrong if you can manually turn the gears with the odometer in your hand. I think maybe that tiny one still turns but you'd have to turn it a zillion times to get any movement in the mileage.
      How many gears did you replace? Which ones? That tiny one is especially important and must lock onto the shaft I think.

Comment

Darren, am I to assume that the speedo itself is actually working, or is that dead as well. Speedo functioning but ODO not working is likely to be internal to the speedo itself, as it gets the signal for the stepper motor from the speedo portion. if neither is working, check the connection at the back of the diff housing (where the speedo signal is derived) if this is good, and still no speedo/odo, then wiring is likely the culprit.

Scottinaz
        I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Thanks man, speedo is working fine on both odometers. Maybe it's the board for the cluster itself?

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
            Darren, am I to assume that the speedo itself is actually working, or is that dead as well. Speedo functioning but ODO not working is likely to be internal to the speedo itself, as it gets the signal for the stepper motor from the speedo portion. if neither is working, check the connection at the back of the diff housing (where the speedo signal is derived) if this is good, and still no speedo/odo, then wiring is likely the culprit.

Scottinaz

Have this problem... still can't get it working. How can one test this stepper motor?

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
              Have this problem... still can't get it working. How can one test this stepper motor?

replicate a VSS signal into the speedo. only way I know of to test.

Darren, you can try a main board (sold one to Tron a few meets ago), and see if that helps, but IIRC all the signals are internal to the speedo.

one other thing to check, and it is what did mine in, was grease coagulated in the plastic around the stepper shaft. (nasty green shit grease) if that doesnt turn FREELY then you wont get a working ODO with good gears. bad news is that if you need to remove the shaft to clean it out, you will most likely lose the small odo gear.
              I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

'91 318i, same problem. Everything else works. New odometer gears turn easily by hand, but plug the cluster in and the odometer is the only thing not working.
                sigpic
                January 2012 COTM

Comment

hit up mike at mkcman17 here on r3v...

he fixes ODO's for a great price... great guy.... he will sell u a full working cluster as well...
                  1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                  1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                  1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                  guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                  Originally posted by ak-
                  Must of slid into Rob

Comment

Was there ever a solution to this issue? I have an odometer that quit. Replaced the gears even though they looked fine, no go. Everything else is working.

Comment

If the speedo works, and the odo does not, it is either incorrect odo gears, poorly made odo gears, electrical trace cracks on circuit board or poor installation of odo gears.

Electrical trace cracks on VDO brand odometers is extremely common.
                      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                      www.BavRest.com
                      My Feedback Thread
                      Our Facebook!
                      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                      X