Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does a lock cyl need to be rebuilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does a lock cyl need to be rebuilt?

My drivers door lock on my car doesnt operate. It is missing the hook part of it. I am curious what symptoms require a rebuild? The key fits in and turns but seems to have no resistance.

Here is a pic of my lock cyl

if need be i have a full lock set with 2 keys for sell

Comment

I was just dealing with this yesterday. I ordered the rebuild kit. Your cylinder looks like it is missing several parts. There should be a spring, and then also the striker part that presses against the micro switches when turned 45 degrees and 90 degrees.

I haven't gone about pulling my cylinder out. How difficult is it?
      sigpic
      Parts Wanted
      The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

it's really easy. there's just a clip that holds it to the door, and the pin that connects it to the lock itself. it takes longer to pull the door panel than it does to remove the lock cylinder.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So do you think I need a rebuild kit, or go to the junk yard and grab a lock to get the pieces I need. I don't think a rebuild kit comes with all that.

I just called the dealer and a lock cyl is approx $50.00, and approx $40.00 at my cost. Rather than paying a lock smith to rebuild mine, and going to the junkyard to get the missing pieces and the hassle, this makes the most sense to me.
          Last edited by motorsports_3; 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Its up to you man. The rebuild kit is supposed to be a revised version of the cylinder, more reliable. It looks like it comes with the parts you are missing. And from what I read, its super easy to key it to your existing keys. I don't like tearing my door apart to do jobs twice, so If I were in your shoes, I would buy the rebuild kit and do it all up nice the first time around. 20+ year old parts from a junkyard can still fail anytime.
            sigpic
            Parts Wanted
            The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

That's a very good price for a whole lock cylinder, get that. And if they can get one that matches your key, that's awesome.

The hardest part of replacing the lock cylinder is putting the clip back on the cylinder when you put it back in. There's so little room inside the door for your hand. I clamped the clip in vice grips and put it on somewhat remotely.

Comment

My cylinder is messed up on my white M3 as well. I just installed an alarm with keyless entry which of course bypasses the problem. I'm debating if I should even fix the lock cylinder at all now, afterall you can still use the trunk. I have a used parts door with a lock cylinder sitting in my garage too but just haven't gotten around to playing with this.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
                  Its up to you man. The rebuild kit is supposed to be a revised version of the cylinder, more reliable. It looks like it comes with the parts you are missing. And from what I read, its super easy to key it to your existing keys. I don't like tearing my door apart to do jobs twice, so If I were in your shoes, I would buy the rebuild kit and do it all up nice the first time around. 20+ year old parts from a junkyard can still fail anytime.
                  I used a rebuild kit some 4 years ago for one of my cylinders. The arm broke off last year. I don't think it's any improvement over the original design.

Comment

^ what he said. the design is the same no matter which year. its a wear and tear item because the metal arm is constantly rubbing along another opposing object. IF I were you, I would just go keyless entry

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
                      My original plan was to go to the junkyard to get the arm and stuff, because I wasnt sure the rebuild kit came with it. It seems so now. So that would have been a waste of time.
                      Originally posted by redhatpat View Post
                      That's a very good price for a whole lock cylinder, get that. And if they can get one that matches your key, that's awesome.

The hardest part of replacing the lock cylinder is putting the clip back on the cylinder when you put it back in. There's so little room inside the door for your hand. I clamped the clip in vice grips and put it on somewhat remotely.
                      I just got the price for the vin specific one and it is around $57.00, not too far from a basic keyless entry, without alarm. I am on the edge now between the two, but I hate having broken things on my car.
                      Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      ^ what he said. the design is the same no matter which year. its a wear and tear item because the metal arm is constantly rubbing along another opposing object. IF I were you, I would just go keyless entry
                      I think that is what I am going to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X