Timing Belt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt Questions

I am going to replace my timing belt and tensioner today. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I have the bentley article on it. I just want to hear some success stories from others who have done it.
    btw the car is a 1990 325is

Nick

I've assisted a friend with this task not too long ago, and I can recommend a couple things.

1. Replace all the belts. The timing belt is the closest one to the engine and you must remove all the others to get to it. Why just replace one when you have to remove them all?

2. And while you're replacing the tensioner, why not take care of the H2O pump as well. It'll be easy to get to since you will have everything apart....might as well address this since you're in there getting your hands dirty anyway. A new H2O pump is pretty inexpensive as well.

With new belts, tensioner, and water pump, you should be good to go for a while.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Only words of wisdom from this corner is the the harmonic balancer is press fit on. DO NOT feel the need to break loose the crank bolt, its tightened to something stupid...around 400 ft.lbs I think. Just get a rag and a harmer and work it off slowly, and you should be fine. How your cap and rotor looking on the distributor? May be worth it while you are in there too.

Comment

you shouldn't need to remove the balancer to change the timing belt.. just the pulley will be enough.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Removing the hood is a bitch, but for me (my first time) it was much easier. If you have the time and a helper to keep it safe you might want to do that. Up ta you.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

You must remove the balancer to get to the timing belt tensioner bolt.

matt

Comment

Its must, I dont know if you replaced it already but like Jon said its good idea to replace water pump with it!

Its little hard if you're doing by your self, especially slipping belt over so what I recommend is to compress the tensioner all the way, tight down the bolt which is 13mm and bottom to free up the tensioner I forgot the name of it but its metal piece that is holding tensioner, its held by 17mm I think, when you compress the tensioner, slip belt over, adjust everything, make sure belt is not too tight, and neutral gear, turn crank bolt clock wise 2 rounds, and check for marks are in correct position, if they are not, do everything over.

:)
              95' M3.
              90' 325i Turboed.
              87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

It takes like 5-10 mins to remove the hood alone(6 bolts)....now carrying it somewhere else is another story.

Comment

Working...
                X