Cylinder Hone Size & Grit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Hone Size & Grit

About to deglaze the cylinders in a M54B30 (84mm bore).

My understanding so far is that I need an 89mm Flex-Hone (ball hone) at 240 grit?

Can anyone else confirm?

Surely someone on here has had experience honeing a M20 or M50 block?

Comment

Apparently you are a pioneer. I would like to know as well.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I just used a hone on my cylinder walls, I don't have a super sweet 6-cylinder, but I used the kind with sanding stones. I used medium grit stones, turned out pretty good as I could adjust the tension on the stones and not take away too much material.
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

I use a 320 ball hone on my stuff. Mine specified a size range.
          Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
          Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
          Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Honing cylinders isn't something I would DIY. The block goes to a machine shop for cleaning and cross hatching honing. To do it right you need a machine that controls both rotational speed and rate of advance so as to wind up with uniform 60 deg cross hatch.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I agree. Are you sure the M5x doesnt have cylinder liners or plated cylinders?
              Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

M54 has iron sleeves.

Went with 89mm 240 grit Flex Hone. Appropriate for deglazing iron cylinder walls.

This is not for a performance tear down and rebuild. Just simple piston ring and rod bearing replacement so everything I've found points to a 240 grit ball hone.

Comment

deglazing
                  Yup, that will work. Don't use synthetic oil for the first change or 2

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I disagree on the requirement for a machine. Metric Mechanic does all of their's by hand using the stones. They are really good at it, and the accuracy to which they can do it is amazing. I will tell you though that the ones they use are far more expensive and higher quality than the common one's I see sold everywhere.

Comment

I'm curious how this turned out. I am in the same boat.

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                      M54 has iron sleeves.

Went with 89mm 240 grit Flex Hone. Appropriate for deglazing iron cylinder walls.

This is not for a performance tear down and rebuild. Just simple piston ring and rod bearing replacement so everything I've found points to a 240 grit ball hone.
                      flickr
                      ifuckindrift

Comment

I've used my Flex Hone 3 times so far and it worked great.

So far I've used it to rebuild a M54B30, M50 stroker, and just last week used it when rebuilding the S50 for my swap.

Comment

Would you point me in the direction of which hone you bought and where you bought it from?
                          flickr
                          ifuckindrift

Comment

Its messy and whatever drill you use will get oily so I recommend buying a cheap $18 variable speed drill from Harbor Freight just for honeing. Mine is soaked in 20w-50

Comment

Just placed my order. Thank you.
                              flickr
                              ifuckindrift

Comment

Working...
                              X