Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which aftermarket AC compressor?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Which aftermarket AC compressor?

    I've been reading that a Sanden 508 compressor is the way to go if I want a new compressor, the problem is that I went to NAPA and they have about 50 different varieties of Sanden SD508 compressor. I ended up purchasing model 961157 because it looks like a close match,

    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...157_0249724940

    but now that I'm looking around more I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option. Problem is that the NAPA and Sanden websites don't have detailed information on most of the compressors. Model 961157 seems to be an anomaly bc the NAPA website actually has info on it.

    I also found this conversion kit that refers to a Seltec compressor

    http://www.amazon.com/Air-Products-C...534400&sr=8-13

    Does anyone know if that is a better route to go, or in general what would be the cheapest option here? Also, I've read that the SD508 is an R12 replacement. Is there a compressor designed for R134a that can be made to fit with the M20?

    Any help at all is much appreciated..it's going to get hot as hell here in a few weeks.

    Thanks,
    Adam
    sigpic

    #2
    Bump?

    Comment


      #3
      I installed a 508 in my M10. Keep in mind that "508" is the mounting style and there are different compressors within that description. I believe mine is a 7207.

      Anyway, this should help.

      http://www.uacparts.com/catalog/home...45/BMW_MD.html
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

      Comment


        #4
        Order from UAC, they make quality parts. I worked at an a/c specializing shop and we used UAC the most, Frigette and GPD compressors also.
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

        Comment


          #5
          I just overhauled my AC last month. I did hours and hours of research to figure out which parts to retrofit and from where. The compressor you need is a Sanden SD5H14. It is Sanden's current model of what used to be the SD508. The 508 is more or less discontinued. You can still purchase it but it costs twice as much and is a less efficient design.

          http://www.techchoiceparts.com/Showi...ompressor.aspx

          You will need this bracket kit to make it fit unless you have access to a machine shop

          http://www.amazon.com/Air-Products-C...Conversion+Kit

          After ordering and returning two condensers, I finally found this company sells the right one despite the product description being completely wrong. This is actually a PARALLEL FLOW condenser for E30's. The condenser you want is made by American Condensers and is part #P3464, however there is weird shit with another company that produces a condenser with the same part # but it is serpentine. Anyway, like I said I returned two and my third one was this from USA Auto parts. I had my doubts because of the description but it turned out to finally be the right one.

          http://www.usautoparts.net/catalog/?...4640S&x=59&y=6

          What a headache! But finally have great AC! :)


          oh and the evaporator you can find on ebay pretty easily
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Also, for the coldest refrigerant you want to get Envirosafe Industrial. Even with the hazmat fee it is cheaper than R134a, and much much colder.

            http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...nt/details.asp
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Thats a great comprehensive component list & sources.

              Originally posted by rcfanatic View Post
              I just overhauled my AC last month. I did hours and hours of research to figure out which parts to retrofit and from where. The compressor you need is a Sanden SD5H14. It is Sanden's current model of what used to be the SD508. The 508 is more or less discontinued. You can still purchase it but it costs twice as much and is a less efficient design.

              http://www.techchoiceparts.com/Showi...ompressor.aspx

              You will need this bracket kit to make it fit unless you have access to a machine shop

              http://www.amazon.com/Air-Products-C...Conversion+Kit

              After ordering and returning two condensers, I finally found this company sells the right one despite the product description being completely wrong. This is actually a PARALLEL FLOW condenser for E30's. The condenser you want is made by American Condensers and is part #P3464, however there is weird shit with another company that produces a condenser with the same part # but it is serpentine. Anyway, like I said I returned two and my third one was this from USA Auto parts. I had my doubts because of the description but it turned out to finally be the right one.

              http://www.usautoparts.net/catalog/?...4640S&x=59&y=6

              What a headache! But finally have great AC! :)


              oh and the evaporator you can find on ebay pretty easily
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by rcfanatic View Post
                After ordering and returning two condensers, I finally found this company sells the right one despite the product description being completely wrong. This is actually a PARALLEL FLOW condenser for E30's. The condenser you want is made by American Condensers and is part #P3464, however there is weird shit with another company that produces a condenser with the same part # but it is serpentine. Anyway, like I said I returned two and my third one was this from USA Auto parts. I had my doubts because of the description but it turned out to finally be the right one.

                http://www.usautoparts.net/catalog/?...4640S&x=59&y=6

                What a headache! But finally have great AC! :)
                Ah yes our stupid little parts ordering adventure a few months ago....

                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=218857&page=6

                Comment


                  #9
                  I got mine from BMA. It was a refurbished unit. It has been working great after a year,
                  My Transaction Feedback

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by rcfanatic View Post
                    Also, for the coldest refrigerant you want to get Envirosafe Industrial. Even with the hazmat fee it is cheaper than R134a, and much much colder.

                    http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...nt/details.asp
                    did you have to fill the system any differently using this refrigerant? The difference seems pretty noticable compared to standard r134a. I mean there is a threshold for how cold your vents can get before the lines start freezing right?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      did you have to fill the system any differently using this refrigerant? The difference seems pretty noticable compared to standard r134a. I mean there is a threshold for how cold your vents can get before the lines start freezing right?
                      You vacuum the system down and envirosafe recommends filling until the low side pressure reaches 40-45 psi. This should be about 1.25 cans.

                      That said, I recently released some because my pressure was too high (60 psi low side), and it no longer operates as cold as it should. However, I think I may have too much oil in the system. Still trying to debug it
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Does anyone know how to determine if you have too much oil in your system?

                        The compressor I bought came with 7-8 oz of oil and I recently added 3 oz of Ester oil. I replaced the compressor, condenser, evaporator, exp valve, and drier all at once so I thought the extra 3 oz may be necessary.

                        I added the extra oil thinking that was why my system was not cooling very well but now it seems that it may be cooling worse.

                        The other day my car sat in the sun all day and was well over 100 degrees inside. After driving the car at 60 mph for over 20 minutes, the car still had not cooled down and my vent temps were only 75 degrees with the blower on high.

                        Modern cars can sit in the sun and cool down after just a few minutes, even in stop and go traffic. I'm wondering if it's just because they are better insulated than our cars?
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          it's possible that we have bigger greenhouse effect with our cars. However, given the higher temperature and therefore humidity, did you try checking the pressures on that day? I think one thing I'll do if I were to ever do a recharge again, is to do it on a high temp/humid day to get the pressures right from the get go

                          Comment


                            #14
                            When the engine is on the pressures are dictated by the type of refrigerant, how much your expansion valve is open and how well your compressor functions.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by rcfanatic View Post
                              When the engine is on the pressures are dictated by the type of refrigerant, how much your expansion valve is open and how well your compressor functions.
                              so in other words, weather/atmospheric settings does not affect efficiency?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X