Reset Oil Light: Lost Speedo, Odo, MPG Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset Oil Light: Lost Speedo, Odo, MPG Meter

So I did the oil reset light procedure described here, as well as numerous other places, by sticking a paperclip in ports 7&19 and turning the key to position two. The oil light immediately went off, but I waited for over half a minute and the inspection light didn't turn off, so I just took out the key, put the port thing back on, and left it.

Fast forward two hours. I'm driving the car and notice that the speedo is at zero. Subsequently, the odometer doesn't turn, and the MPG meter under the tach is at 0 when pressing the gas, and goes to 40 when you let off. What the hell happened? I'm as sure as I can be that I used the right ports, and I've never heard of anyone having this issue before. Any help?
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Paging GAS...please help. All fuses are good. There also doesn't seem to be any power going to the head unit ares (there isn't one in, but the wires were getting power before this, but not today).

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Your SI board just went south.

Comment

That's what I feared. Will I have to replace the cluster (I hope to god not)? Actually, I think it may be something else. Why else would there not be power going to the head unit?

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

if theirs no speed reading you wont get any mpg readings......I sometimes drive solely by rpm.

Comment

Yes, I think that the other two problems are based on the fact that the speedo's not working. It doesn't effect drivability at all (speedo is off like 20% anyways because of small tires and all e30's are optimistic), but i'd like to get it fixed asap because of the mileage not counting. It's my dad's DD, so it'll get like 300 miles a week.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

the SI board does not control the speedo. if your speedo is bad, something else has gone wrong.

the SI board controls the tach and MPG gauge. the speedo also inputs into the MPG gauge. if your speedo goes out, so will the MPG gauge, even if the SI board is good.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bump...still an issue. Do you guys think disconnecting the battery for 10 min will help anything? The car has no radio so it's really nothing at all to lose.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Its common to f something up while doing this (I've done it 3 times with no issue) but if you have a buddy with a good si board I'd swap em to see if it works. I replaced my odo gears and when I reinstalled everything the tack, obc, mpg gauge etc didn't work. Swapped in a known good and all was well.

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    the SI board does not control the speedo. if your speedo is bad, something else has gone wrong.

the SI board controls the tach and MPG gauge. the speedo also inputs into the MPG gauge. if your speedo goes out, so will the MPG gauge, even if the SI board is good.
                    What would that something be?

I have a feeling it's not the SI board if the SI board doesn't control the speedo, because the tach, temp gauge, and fuel gauge work fine. And i'm not sure of anyone who has a good SI board laying around, but I'm sure I could find someone.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Even a buddy with one in his car that is good. I can yank out the gauge cluster in <5min so its no problem to pull a buddies.

A friend of mine with his m10 model had a similar issue (no mpg, tack) but his speedo "worked" just 30mph off. replace the si and all worked fine again

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

A bad SI board can do some real funky thing to the whole cluster even though the speedo is not supposed to be under its control.

Comment

it would have to be a hard short (ie completely fried). the function of the speedo is completely independent - although it does supply a VSS signal to the SI board. basically, the SI board would have to be shorting 12v to the signal wire from the speedo PCB.

it's probably worth checking the wires and connector at the diff - it could just be a coincidence. or perhaps you actually did totally fry the SI board.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, you can't believe how much damage 2 leaky NiCd can do to the SI board.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                              A bad SI board can do some real funky thing to the whole cluster even though the speedo is not supposed to be under its control.
                              I also think so.
                              Watch American Reunion Online Free

Comment

Working...
                              X