Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help...weak windshield wipers

Hi R3V!

I need your help. I've searched the forum and found nothing regarding weak windshield wiper strength.

As mentioned, the wipers are pretty weak right now, they don’t always reset to the bottom of the windshield especially when it isn’t raining heavily. When it is raining heavily, the wipers tend to overshoot the bottom of the windshield hitting (and going past) the rubber seal. It typically sits at a 20-25 degree angle from the base.

Is it the wiper motor going out or something else less expensive? Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks in advance!
    1991 318i Sedan
    2005 X5 3.0i Sport
    2010 328i M-Sport Touring

A new used motor may be in order here. They can get weak over time. Try putting a little rainx on the windshield and some new wiper blades to see if that eases the friction a bit! I should have a good motor if you decide to go that route.
    The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

I've had to change 2 wiper units. Huge PITA for me as I just couldn't find the right way to rotate the assembly to get it out...any pointers?
      Swanny!
      SUCKERS.

Comment

Swanny - remove the motor first then the assembly.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I may have to source a new used motor to get this fixed.

wodcutr - How much for the motor? I'll keep you posted if i need the part.
          1991 318i Sedan
          2005 X5 3.0i Sport

Comment

buy motor to save you the trouble later.

Comment

While you are in there...and even if you aren't...you should replace the "damper ring" which is #14 in the diagram. I've replaced these on 3 cars and in each case they crumbled before I could remove them so I had to pick out the pieces.

They keep your wiper from wobbling which will absolutely shorten the motor life. The trick is to remove the "ring" # 13 first and replace it after the new damper is in place. They are cheap, a bit finicky and you can do both sides in under 30 min.

Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Getting the motor out is pretty easy if you use a stubby ratcheting wrench. A few minutes work if you dont have to pull an M50 manifold that comprehensively blocks access. Getting the wiper transmission out is a gigantic pain in the ass, so don't do it unless you really, really have to.

Edit: MAKE SURE THE WIPERS PARK CORRECTLY BEFORE YOU BUTTON THINGS UP. YES, I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

What a wealth of information. Thanks Jeffnhiscars and nrubenstein!
                  1991 318i Sedan
                  2005 X5 3.0i Sport

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                    Edit: MAKE SURE THE WIPERS PARK CORRECTLY BEFORE YOU BUTTON THINGS UP. YES, I FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY.
                    qft.

my last e30s wiper park position was off an inch because of this. :nice:
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                    X